Wish Fuller Downloadable Docs & A JavaFX Docs Tip

dilettante

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't always have an Internet connection when I want to work on B4J programs. This is a handicap because (a.) I still have a ton to learn, and (b.) who uses everything frequently enough to commit it all to memory?

On top of that my work style using Microsoft languages has allowed me to look up what I need locally whether manually or via content-sensitive Help in the IDEs. Call me lazy, but there it is.

I realize B4J is a work in progress, so the frequency of changes may be too great for this to happen any time soon. Please keep it in mind as an option though if possible.

Preferably in CHM format. This is compact, indexable, searchable, and can even be bookmarkable. I find PDFs and HTML to be extremely clunky as reference manual formats, but I will take whatever I can get. ;)

Before I go...

A tip: JavaFX Local Docs

This may be old hat to everyone. All I know is that I have to constantly go look stuff up in the JavaFX API and CSS docs. Same pain applies: having an Internet connection isn't always practical (and I really hate spending my mobile data budget on something easily stored locally).

I found some options for the JavaFX 2.2 docs.

API docs: Java SE Development Kit 7 Documentation

Take the second download, you probably don't need the first monster download that requires accepting an agreement anyway. This is a ZIP archive that expands to eat about 56MB of disk and is made up of (bleh) HTML documents, but they work. Far better than burning bandwidth in any case. The index.html page is your starting point and you might want to make a shortcut point to it.

CSS docs: JavaFX CSS Reference Guide

Click on this big old page from within Internet Explorer. Then Save as... Web Archive (.mht) and you get a single file. I stick this in the same folder I unzip the API docs into.

Any and all comments and suggestions welcome. I may well have missed someother options for either B4J or JavaFX docs.