Game Changer – Live Captions

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Google waited until I/O 2019 to demonstrate one of the most impressive features of Android Q. It’s called Live Caption, and when enabled, you’ll see any video or audio you play on your phone transcribed in real time — with extremely accurate results. Live Captions are overlaid on top of whatever app you’re using, be it YouTube, Instagram, Pocket Casts, or anything else, and it also supports video chat apps like Skye and Google’s own Duo.

Android 10 (Android Q) will include a new feature called Live Captions. This will be a game changer for the deaf and hard of hearing. It is supposed to work making phone calls or using Skype, etc. We'll be able to make short phone calls to friends, for appointments, … – sometimes a short real-time phone call is just easier.

From what I have been able to find it should be enabled toward the end of this year on Android 10 and will come first to certain phones like those in the Google Pixel series.

I might buy a Pixel 3a just to use this feature (and of course check my app compatibility for Android 10 :)).

Is anyone else as excited as I am about this feature?

Does anyone have any additional information about this? I'm like a kid in a candy store. I can't wait for this feature.

Barry.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well I use "CC" as it is called in Youtube, on browser, for a lot of videos to understand the content easily.
I even read them in Erel's tutorials :)
The only thing is B4A is written as "before A", obviously.

Very good feature by Google for many of us, old users.

Regards,

Anand