Android Question Get pixel information from screen, not bitmap?

Mark Read

Licensed User
Is it possible to get the pixel information, RGB values etc from the screen directly without making a screenshot and reading the bitmap?

I found this java code which seems to do the job but cannot convert it to ba4.

B4X:
public static Color getColorAt(int x, int y){
   return new Robot().getPixelColor(x, y);
}

Can anyone help or is this possible?

Mark Read

Licensed User
Thank you for the rather short reply Erel. Is there another way?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Make a Screenshot and geht the pixel fron this imahe

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Thanks Manfred, that is what I am doing at present and its works but slowly. I have also found that a screenshot is device dependent ie. The pixel information for the same point on my mobile is not the same as on my tablet (the RGB values are different). I am working on a way to calibrate the system but I had hoped for a more direct approach, reading the screen in the hope that this problem would be fixed. I am not even sure why there is a difference in the bitmaps. I have probably overlooked something.

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
How very true. At present, the App is designed for a 10" tablet with resolution 1200 x 800 (roughly) and have to process up to 500 pixels at semi-random positions. I can find no way to speed this up. I had wondered about using a class or a thread but that is beyond my knowledge at present and I am not sure if it would even help.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Would it be quicker to first establish witch pixel(s) you want to verify and then capture only that pixel instead of the hole screen?

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Unfortunately not, as I am calculating a route between two pixel points (eg. top left to bottom right along a river) and they can be anywhere on the screen.

Upvote 0

NeoTechni

Licensed User
It'd be possible if it was your app it was getting it from, not the screen itself. Then you'd just get it from the canvas

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
@NeoTechni: Now I am curious. It is my app. I am using OSMdroid and have a map on the screen. Using overlays and the touch event, I generate two markers. Then I calculate the route between these two markers. I know the exact position of the markers. How does a canvas help me here?

Upvote 0