Good bye Stephen hawking

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The prophet of science
Dr. Hawking has past away. One page in theoretical physics's just turned.

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
RIP
For many years I've had beside my bed some general public divulgative books (that is, the easy ones ;) )written by him. Reading a bit of his thoughts and theories each night, before turning off the lights, was for me even better than fiction.
Thanks!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The Geek is dead! Long live the Geek!

For me, each time I spoke about how a "crazy geek" was changing the way we see science and specially quantum physics and computing science, people looked at me as if I was talking about a mental case person...
The "The Big Bang Theory" episode where S.H. plays a MMOG with "Dr.Sheldon" was just delicious...

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just saw the headlines "Stephen Hawking considered Artificial Intelligence as threat to humanity" in news but did not read it. Now I read that he has shut down. So was that his last words ?

We are rushing towards AI to easy our daily work pressure. May be we should stop and ponder.

Regards,

Anand

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just saw the headlines "Stephen Hawking considered Artificial Intelligence as threat to humanity" in news but did not read it. Now I read that he has shut down. So was that his last words ?

We are rushing towards AI to easy our daily work pressure. May be we should stop and ponder.

Regards,

Anand

I have no doubt in my mind that the industrial revolution was a wrong exit. At some time we will need to make a U turn.. Otherwise we are rapidly heading towards a steep cliff with no chance to even back-up.

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have no doubt in my mind that the industrial revolution was a wrong exit. At some time we will need to make a U turn.. Otherwise we are rapidly heading towards a steep cliff with no chance to even back-up.

Yes, we take more care of machines than we do of our fellow human beings.

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
mmmmm i do not know.

i believe that the goal of humanity is conquer the stars (because our earth has limited resources as well as our son has a time span, it is not infinite)... industrial revolution is just a step towards that goal.

of course, this based on the kardashev scale.

... humanity's civilization type as of 1973 was about 0.7 (apparently using 10 terawatt (TW) as the value for 1970s humanity).[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

we may be now, 0.85?

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i believe that the goal of humanity is conquer the stars (because our earth has limited resources as well as our son has a time span, it is not infinite)... industrial revolution is just a step towards that goal.

Let's face reality for a moment shall we?, since the early beginnings of humanity, mankind looked at the stars, and frankly, that's all we will do since no matter the amount of technology we still don't have nor will ever have the capacity to develop ourselves to that level, not to mention that we are living on a live planet and that means, we are living on borrowed time, Mother Earth might decide some day to "reset" and no amount of technology will save our asses, even now, a small tsunami can send us back to the stone age in matter of hours, an earthquake could do the same or even a storm, conquer the stars? bah! humbug! we can't even understand our own selves and our own planet and we are going to "conquer" other planets.

Industrial revolutions or Technology revolutions has nothing to do with human nature, look at the amount of IGNORANCE rampant around the world, we have a great source of knowledge in our pockets (Smartphones) and yet we use it to spread ignorance and stupidity instead of gaining knowledge and better ourselves, so, reaching for the stars? "conquer" or "colonize" other worlds? nah! look at history, we are going to destroy all of that because the great enemy of humanity is humanity itself.

Last edited:

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am sorry.

I was not expecting such passionate answer. Of course I respect your point of view.

I like to think that somehow mind kind will survive yet I am not planning to have kids in my life. May be in the inside I think the same as you.

Claudio Oliveira

Licensed User
Longtime User
@NJDude , I guess I get your point...
Thomas Hobbes, in "The Leviathan" wrote "Man is a wolf to man" (after Plauto's "Lupus est homo homini"), and this has a lot to do with what you're talking about, IMHO.
Mankind has been like this since forever, and I do believe that we should leave this "look at the stars not at your feet" thing alone, and look deeper inside ourselves and what we're becoming. These are horrific times we're living now indeed.
I must agree with you. We have a lot to learn before trying to reach the stars or travelling to the past.
I respect Hawking's strength and determination, and how he succeeded in spite of all his impairment, and certainly he is an inspiration for those who live with ALS like him. And that's it. May he rest in peace...

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
Whilst I'm impressed with SpaceX et al and Hawkings quote "Look at the stars not at your feet" its not because I believe space exploration is the answer to mankinds problems. These new technologies and ways of thinking always start off with great and noble intentions but almost without pause, they become weapons or drains on resources when the goal is missed.

That tells me, as NJDude points out, the problem is more with us, with human nature than our environment. I've watched a few recent rocket launches (one whilst actually standing at Kennedy Space Centre) and been impressed - not with a feeling of "oh great we're going to leave this planet" but in recognition of the people that worked in close harmony on a project and watching the joy and celebrations as that is successful.

Stephen Hawkings had a lot to say about human nature, he was very keen on maintaining the National Health Service. I hope he's remembered for that more than anything, I doubt it though.