Android Question Goodbye Windows 7? B4A / B4X on a Chrome Book / Chrome Box?

Syd Wright

Licensed User
From today onward Microsoft has terminated the support for Windows-7. For various reasons I don't want to use Windows-10 if I can avoid it. For example, I still program in Visual Basic 6 which does not run on Windows 10. Also Windows 10 has a nasty reputation for violating the user's privacy and is vulnerable to virusses and ransomware.

I am therefore considering buying a Chrome Book or a Chrome Box (better, faster and safer!). It would be wonderful if I could develop B4A apps (and maybe even B4i, B4R, B4J and B4x) on a Chrome Book or Chrome Box! Would that be possible and is Erel maybe considering this?

I do realise that this will be a major project for Erel. Maybe an intermediate solution could be to use a Windows Emulator, like the company "Codeweavers" has made available?
Will B4A run on "CrossOver Chrome OS" by Codeweavers? Ref: https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-chromeos

Devv

Licensed User
Longtime User
you should consider turning to Linux (ubunut) instead of chrome

you can sue wine/Virtual box to run B4X

Upvote 0

Syd Wright

Licensed User
I hope Windows doesn't lose to Chrome like Windows Mobile with Android.
I have mixed feelings about this. For years my sentiment towards Windows is that I would not join the Microsoft Fanclub. Over the last 20 years I have had numerous (far too many) problems with Windows (almost none of my own doing) and also about 5 years ago a Ransomware attack (which forced me to buy a new PC).
So, to be honest that I am susceptible to TV adverts that promote a Chromebox. Microsoft is focussing a lot on The Cloud. I am still amazed that companies and private persons are willing to store their (sensitive) data there. Are people and businesses really so naive about how Microsoft and Google treat and sell their data, and have blinkers on regarding industrial espionage (not only from China) as well as NSA "activities" ? If the Cloud crashes then Google will get the upperhand, I think.
In view of the ongoing market growth of Chrome O.S. I was wondering if (thinking about) porting B4A (also) to Chrome O.S. is worth considering. Erel has so far not responded to share his opinion about this. He probably wants to keep his strategies to himself, which I certainly understand. From a Business Development perspective it is always good to take a long(er) term view and perform a Scenario-analysis a.o.

Upvote 0

kisoft

Licensed User
I think there are more urgent problems to solve ... for example:

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have mixed feelings about this. For years my sentiment towards Windows is that I would not join the Microsoft Fanclub. Over the last 20 years I have had numerous (far too many) problems with Windows (almost none of my own doing) and also about 5 years ago a Ransomware attack (which forced me to buy a new PC).
Problems like ransomware, viruses, phishing, etc fall primarily on the USER not the OS, granted, the OS might have vulnerabilities but ultimately is the USER who allows this to happen.

So, to be honest that I am susceptible to TV adverts that promote a Chromebox. Microsoft is focusing a lot on The Cloud.
If you are susceptible to ads, then my friend, you might have a problem there, I have a piece of advise and it's only 1 word: RESEARCH.

In view of the ongoing market growth of Chrome O.S. I was wondering if (thinking about) porting B4A (also) to Chrome O.S. is worth considering. Erel has so far not responded to share his opinion about this. He probably wants to keep his strategies to himself, which I certainly understand. From a Business Development perspective it is always good to take a long(er) term view and perform a Scenario-analysis a.o.
Chrome OS is a 'boutique' OS, used in a very small field, like I mentioned on a previous post, financially is not worth the effort, if you are talking 'security' then I want B4X for DOS because there's nothing more secure that that.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Syd Wright

Licensed User
I think there are more urgent problems to solve ... for example:
That is a totally different matter. I did not flag my question as being a problem, just to get an idea what shifts in O.S. market shares could happen and the subsequent consequences for B4X. Not thinking ahead is one of the biggest mistakes a company can make :-(
It's a pity this debate keeps swinging so far from left to right instead of tackling the core question. I háve done my research on this topic.
As regards the Exoplayer question I did my bit on that, but like you, I'm stuck and thus am still using AAC player. I also made a suggestion in #33 of that thread, i.e. to see how onlineradiobox.com has tackled the ID3 matter, but nobody picked up that ball. I can tell you that I have been digging deep into this, but no results.

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

kisoft

Licensed User
If Chrome will have a larger market share, I think Erel will also implement B4X on this operating system. Now for several users there is no point in doing this ...

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel has so far not responded to share his opinion about this.
I see a lot of value in porting B4X IDE to other OSs and especially Macs. This will require many efforts and will take a lot of time. A cross platform IDE will probably be less powerful compared to the current Windows only IDE.
Will it ever happen?
I don't know. Maybe. Not in the near future.

Upvote 0

Syd Wright

Licensed User
Well, if you are talking about market share then Chrome OS has the chance of a snowball in hell: Chrome OS marketshare
I certainly take your point. However, Benjamin Disraeli said "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics"... It depends on from which angle one wishes to present a case and then to use statistics to prove the point. Just to play "advocate of the devil": The market share study you present is ofcourse valid, but it does only address the market shares of OS's on desktops. Desktop sales have been in decline for a number of years now, in favour of laptops (which includes Chrome Books). Wikipedia states that the market share of Chrome OS now is around 6% in the US (a very important, also trendsetting, market). Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems .Mac OS is at 13%. The (much smaller than Windows) market size of Mac OS was enough reason to start the development of B4i. So, in line with my initial question, this prompts the next question of "when will there be enough incentive (i.e. market share) to develop something for Chrome OS"? I don't think the current 6% in the US, plus expected further growth, is something to sneeze at nor ignore. PS: I am pleased this debate is now more back on centre track.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem is that ChromeOS is mainly app based. Creating an IDE for it is one thing. But B4A relies on a lot more things than just the IDE.

As you're in Holland why don't you buy a chromebook at CoolBlue, give it a try and send it back if it didn't work out as expected?

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The (much smaller than Windows) market size of Mac OS was enough reason to start the development of B4i.
I think the driver for producing B4i was nothing to do with MacOS market share but was in fact iPhone penetration in the mobile market. It's just that Apple restrictive practices mean you need to do the final development on a Mac.

I really can't understand why you think ChromeOS is a valid target. The only significant penetration it has is within the US educational market and that is certainly not reflected in other countries. By deprecating Chrome Apps in favour of PWA you just end with an expensive browser in a box which you can get lot cheaper with an entry-level Windows 10 laptop.

I entirely agree with you however about locating data in the cloud. I just don't!

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I certainly take your point. However, Benjamin Disraeli said "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics"... It depends on from which angle one wishes to present a case and then to use statistics to prove the point. Just to play "advocate of the devil": The market share study you present is ofcourse valid, but it does only address the market shares of OS's on desktops. Desktop sales have been in decline for a number of years now, in favour of laptops (which includes Chrome Books). Wikipedia states that the market share of Chrome OS now is around 6% in the US (a very important, also trendsetting, market). Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems .Mac OS is at 13%. The (much smaller than Windows) market size of Mac OS was enough reason to start the development of B4i. So, in line with my initial question, this prompts the next question of "when will there be enough incentive (i.e. market share) to develop something for Chrome OS"? I don't think the current 6% in the US, plus expected further growth, is something to sneeze at nor ignore. PS: I am pleased this debate is now more back on centre track.
True, you can make statistics fit whatever need, but, in the end, reality wins, and in the case of desktop sales, that depends where those desktops are sold, home sales might have declined but you still have other markets, a big market like the corporate market where desktop sales are still steady even though laptops are becoming more popular but in most cases a desktop is preferred for a number of reasons.

When enough market share might be enough to venture in and try? that's a very broad question and hard to answer, one example in this case would be Windows Mobile which failed and lost the 'smartphone' dominance against Android, but...how's that possible? Windows is a giant? well, is neither the OS nor the Company but the MARKET itself, remember the consumer is KING and is the consumer who decides in the end what wins and what fails.

Once again, Chromebooks are just toys, a browser to carry around to look hip, trendy and cool, will a Chromebook replace a real laptop? no way!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
I run B4A on Win 7 in a VM (and have for years) and will continue to do it. But now I have uninstalled my favorite browser and will not use that machine to browse the internet. I will do that on my main Win 10 machine.

Upvote 0

Syd Wright

Licensed User
I run B4A on Win 7 in a VM (and have for years) and will continue to do it. But now I have uninstalled my favorite browser and will not use that machine to browse the internet. I will do that on my main Win 10 machine.
OK, but what is so special about that?
This thread is about (maybe) also developing the B4X family on Chrome OS some time in the near future. Do you have anything to comment on that topic?

Upvote 0

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
I personally agree if B4A & B4J could runs on Linux.

Fews months ago, I tried Mint and loved it compared to Windows 10.

On Mint, when computer is idle, it's literally idle. Not the case with Windows 10, on idle, the disk keeps spinning periodically.

Upvote 0

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, but what is so special about that?
This thread is about (maybe) also developing the B4X family on Chrome OS some time in the near future. Do you have anything to comment on that topic?

Nothing so special. Some people mentioned sticking with Win 7 so I commented.

As far as Chrome OS would not touch it. It is not a developer OS nor is any of the hardware I have seen it sold on.
I am a professional developer. I Like my Dual Xeons and 32Gb of RAM as well as my mirrored nvme ssd's.

So no, Chrome OS is not worth it for me.

Upvote 0

RVP

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm Not sure why MS dropping support for W7 makes any difference. It simply means that they will not be releasing security updates or bug fixes. If you are already running it, it is going to continue to run. If you want to upgrade your hardware you may have an issue finding something compatible, but then why would you need to. You can always find new ‘old’ hardware if you just need to keep your system running.

Upvote 0