Google Glass, can the image be seen by someone else?

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know some people here has made apps for Google Glass, and I hope you can answer this, since I can't find the information on the net.

For some applications, you want to be able to see information on the screen without someone else being able to see it. Is the screen visible (even if not readable) for anyone else but the wearer (for example as a reflection in the eye or if watched from behind/side)?

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's strange that there hasn't been more written on this subject, as Google Glass is a product that is suited for many situations where confidentiality is necessary.

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Never heard of it since over a year: Price to high and it's experimental plus some legal issues (taking fotos or record people is not allowed without their permission).

I agree about the price, they need to get it to around $300 to reach a larger market.

As for the legality, that depends on the jurisdiction. Here (Sweden), you are allowed to film averything you see with your own eyes (in other words, no unattended or remote controlled cameras) as long as:

* You are somewhere you are allowed to be.
* It's somewhere you are allowed to film (not military installations, airports or other security objects).
* You are not expressly told not to film. Even this last point is somewhat flexible, if you are filming a person of public interest in a journalistic capacity, say, a politician buying sex, you can film. Also, in a public place, this usually don't apply at all. Say that you are filming a concert, and a guy in the audience don't want to be in the footage, then, as it is a public place, it's up to him to move.

That said, some cases may fall under other laws. Bring a video camera into the showers at a gym, and there is a stack of other laws that applies, for example.

I also think most of the legal issues could be solved by some kind of visual indication that the camera is recording, such as a red LED next to the lens, thus making covert recording impossible.

There are also cases where covert recording is useful and beneficial. I covertly recorded the discussion when I confronted the election officials about election fraud in our national elections (at two occasions), using my phone in my breast pocket. In both cases, I managed to get them to fix the problem, but, if not, that documentation would have been invaluable.

Some other points they need to address:

* They need to make it self-contained. Not just a gadget for the phone, it needs to BE a standalone gadget that also works as a phone.
* It needs to be slimmed down further, especially the prism.