Google Maps pricing has kicked in...

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have got a strange effect of Google Maps pricing...

I seems that google Maps is linked to Google Cloud
Google Cloud is also linked to firebase.

So I had a free plan (Spark) with firebase which is now automatically "upgraded" to the Blaze Plan (Pay as you Go)...

I hope that all the "protections" (free 200$, free mobile maps sdk and so on will work...

here is the french message I got yesterday :

iTagAlarm
La formule de facturation de votre projet a été mise à jour en raison d'activités dans Google Cloud

okvDjEN-5BTMNMCrLZHpY1sDaLRw6kkJWzrLShgVzVNhNcJ2KXdUhrIZ93__uNN6TZwG6I6ljhv9MJujUPvz5N816X6Rdz6_1Vtlr2ISstfWva4iz6dkd0QM6D671ZXJGESX6YM=s0-d-e1-ft
Firebase est étroitement intégré à Google Cloud Platform. Un grand nombre de vos paramètres, y compris vos informations de facturation et vos collaborateurs, sont partagés par Firebase et Google Cloud Platform.En savoir plus
Un utilisateur a configuré un nouveau compte de facturation pour votre projet dans la console Google Cloud Platform. Cette opération a déclenché la facturation de votre projet, entraînant une mise à jour de votre formule Firebase.

Formule
Blaze - Facturation à l'utilisation

Well not really clean...

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi again,

I just received this email from firebase.
Explaination clear : side effect of GoogleMaps

Hi,
Summary
During the past few days, you may have received an email informing you that one of your Firebase projects has been upgraded to the Blaze plan. This upgrade will not affect your usage of the Firebase free tier, and you can continue to use it as normal. Although your project shows that it is on the Blaze (pay as you go) plan, it still has the Spark (free) plan limits. As soon as you would incur any charges, your project will be switched to Spark but you will not be charged.
Your affected project is: iTagAlarm (itagalarm)
What happened?
Google Maps Platform made some changes recently, and now requires a valid billing account. We detected that you have used Maps APIs from your project during the past month. In order to prevent disruption, a temporary billing account was attached to your joint Google Maps Platform and Firebase project. This account (named “Google Maps Transition Billing Account”) authorizes your project for $200 of free monthly usage of Maps Platform.
As a side affect, your Firebase account was upgraded to Blaze, although it still has the Spark (free) plan limits. We apologize for not communicating this ahead of time.
What's next?
Note that this temporary billing account has no attached credit card, and it’ll be removed once your usage goes above the free limits of Firebase, Google Cloud, or Google Maps Platform. Once that happens, you will lose access to free Maps usage until you create a new billing account and attach it to your project. To continue using Google Maps Platform we highly recommend that you create a billing account and attach it to your project. Please click the “Get Started Now” button below to add billing information to your account, or check out the new Google Maps Platform pricing guide.
As always, if you have any questions or need any assistance, feel free to reach out to our support team for more assistance.
Thanks,
John Shriver-Blake on behalf of Firebase

imbault

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi again,

I just received this email from firebase.
Explaination clear : side effect of GoogleMaps

Hi,
Summary
During the past few days, you may have received an email informing you that one of your Firebase projects has been upgraded to the Blaze plan. This upgrade will not affect your usage of the Firebase free tier, and you can continue to use it as normal. Although your project shows that it is on the Blaze (pay as you go) plan, it still has the Spark (free) plan limits. As soon as you would incur any charges, your project will be switched to Spark but you will not be charged.
Your affected project is: iTagAlarm (itagalarm)
What happened?
Google Maps Platform made some changes recently, and now requires a valid billing account. We detected that you have used Maps APIs from your project during the past month. In order to prevent disruption, a temporary billing account was attached to your joint Google Maps Platform and Firebase project. This account (named “Google Maps Transition Billing Account”) authorizes your project for $200 of free monthly usage of Maps Platform.
As a side affect, your Firebase account was upgraded to Blaze, although it still has the Spark (free) plan limits. We apologize for not communicating this ahead of time.
What's next?
Note that this temporary billing account has no attached credit card, and it’ll be removed once your usage goes above the free limits of Firebase, Google Cloud, or Google Maps Platform. Once that happens, you will lose access to free Maps usage until you create a new billing account and attach it to your project. To continue using Google Maps Platform we highly recommend that you create a billing account and attach it to your project. Please click the “Get Started Now” button below to add billing information to your account, or check out the new Google Maps Platform pricing guide.
As always, if you have any questions or need any assistance, feel free to reach out to our support team for more assistance.
Thanks,
John Shriver-Blake on behalf of Firebase

Hi JP,

I received the same, what did you do?

Patrick

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi JP,

I received the same, what did you do?

Patrick

Well for the moment I did nothing... I suppose that as I haven't yet given my credit card, they won't charge as promized.
Later if GoogleMaps wants me to pay for the android maps then I will switch to OSM...

But for now, I just wait !