Android Question Google Maps tutorial

Roger Daley

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All,

Sorry about this, but a couple dumb questions RE: the tutorial.

I am polishing up an existing App to bring it in line with current GMap requirements.

1. In the tutorial it says "Don't add #AdditionalRes or #ExcludeClasses."
Should I remove the existing line "#AdditionalRes: C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\google_play_services\libproject\google-play-services_lib\res, com.google.android.gms" from Project Attributes?

2A. I can't add MapFragment in the designer as CustomView is greyed out. Searching the forum shows lacking a suitable library is the usual cause. I already have GoogleMaps library included, this should be enough?
What else could cause this grey out?

2B. Currently the Map Fragment is generated in code. Do I really need to do anything in the designer?

NOTE: The existing App was loosely derived from the venerable GPSEample by Klause. Works well but with Google changing things................?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Roger

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Roger Daley

Licensed User
Longtime User
DonManfred,

Thanks for the reply, you've come to the rescue again.
I didn't make it really clear in the initial post but I was following the tutorial and needed clarification on these points.

CustomView: Is still in question.
1. I can't add a CustomView in the designer because the menu item is Greyed Out. Any ideas as how/why/etc. to get access to the CustomView item in the menu?
2. This is a working App with an existing MapFragment initialized as in the GPSExample program.
Why would I need to change this, are there to be changes to Google Maps that would cause problems to the user?

Regards Roger

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The GPSExample doesn't use the GoogleMaps library and therefore doesn't use MapFragment. It was written before the publication of the GoogleMaps library.
It uses GoogleMaps in a webview, this needs also a license from Google now, their new rules.

Upvote 0

Roger Daley

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Erel,

Sorry about the delay getting back but life got in the way. I also dumped the copy I had been modifying in case it had been corrupted by me.
The Zip is just a bit big to Upload, the LINK to file in dropbox is the working App with changes made by following the tutorial, up to the step creating the MapFragment. CustomView menu item is still Greyed out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards Roger

PS The Google Maps Key is not the real one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roger Daley

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

Problem solved. I'm an idiot, I hadn't updated the Googlemaps Library files. I thought I had but finally noticed I was still on V1.01.
I had copied the files to the Additional Libraries folder, the Libraries Manager was loading V1.01 from the Libraries folder
Updated the Libraries folder with the files attached to the tutorial, problem solved.

Sorry about the run around.

Regards Roger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0