GPS Convert : OSGB36

nl1007

Licensed User
Longtime User
please add a Lat/Long to OSGB easting/northing function.
I wondered if I could use the UTM result with an offset, but because the central meridians of zones 29 and 30 are different from the OS National Grid, they don't align with each other..
thanks in advance

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I assume you mean my GPStoOSGB library.

I am afraid that I don't understand your request. The library can already convert between any of WSGB84 ellipsoid lat/long (as reported by most GPS units although some can report other ellipsoids), OSGB36 lat/long (as marked on OS maps) and OSGB National Grid references.

Can you explain in more detail what you want to do?

EDIT:- Possibly my misunderstanding. Maybe you are referring to the Converter object in the GPS library or the GPSConverter in the GPSDriver library. If so then you want my GPStoOSGB library but as you don't seem to be a registered user you won't be able to download it until you buy a license for Basic4ppc :(. Go on, treat yourself :)!

Last edited:

nl1007

Licensed User
Longtime User
thanks. I did see your library thread, but as you say, I couldn't download it..
I have now bought a 'real' copy, so I'll check it out. I did download the Excel file that the OS had on their website, but they told me that the "Helmert type 7 parameter transformation" is approximate, and advised me to use the executable (or DLL), downloadable from the link on this page: Welcome to OS Net - Quest Software
I doubt that this will work on WM, so I will probably 'grab' the Lat/Long from the GPS device and convert to OSGB easting and northing on a (connected) PC..
I'm still working on a program to save location and other information on-the-move, and intend to investigate post-processing the results against the OS Rinex server data.
(National GPS Network - Active Station RINEX Data)
I have a client who needs to include location information (e/n) for items (e.g. street lamps), that they inspect/test - along with their observations, test results, and photos, in a database. They want (OSGB) eastings and northings, to the nearest metre. The GPS receiver is capable of L1 code and also phase measurements, but I don't know if I will be able to use them, without the manufacturer's API.. I don't think the intermediate GPS driver provides 'raw' data..