GPS lock-on time and accuracy

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel
A user feedback about my B4PPC GPS applications:
- It takes much longer to get a lock than the other software we were trying.
- Accuracy 9-25m out on Google Earth. The Garmin was most accurate with +/- 4m.

I have no statistical data I could provide you with, but if it is not too much trouble, could you please review the gps.dll, in particular the conversion to decimal GPS values?

I am forced to confirm that, for instance, VisualGPSCE gets a faster fix on GPS than any of my apps in B4PPC.

Thanks
Robert

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
GPS lock on time

Robert
Isn't lock on time a function of the GPS reciever that is embeded in the device ?
I think that all the GPS applications just use the same output stream coming from the reciever, so there sould not be any difference in lock on times.

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, David, essentially it depends on the receiver hardware.
In addition, it is reasonable to assume that decoding of a GPS stream
in conjunction with the GPS_Decoded event in the gps.dll could
take influence. Without in-depth knowledge about the dll, this is
just a theory of mine. Well, a check won't harm, if it doesn't take
too much time.
Thanks a lot for your concern.
Robert

Scubaticus

Licensed User
- Accuracy 9-25m out on Google Earth. The Garmin was most accurate with +/- 4m.

Is WAAS enabled on your Garmin? On my one it is and is much more accurate than my CF GPS (don't know if it has WAAS and if so how to enable it through B4PPC.)

Scub

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks a lot for your concern, Scubaticus

My user appears to have a Garmin, I don't. As far as I am aware he has a SIRF chip in it. I am not really familiar with most recent GPS receivers, nor do I no what WAAS is. Sorry for my ignorance.

I asked Erel to check the gps.dll just to rule out errors in the software driver. Everything else depends on the receiver.

I have a 12-ch CF type GPS receiver which is out a few meters to a few tenths of meters, but delivers better accuracy if you wait a few minutes after the first fix before recording data. For raw GPS data without additional computations, I trust this is quite normal.

Cheers
Robert

Scubaticus

Licensed User
nor do I no what WAAS is. Sorry for my ignorance.
Here is a nice link concerning WAAS.

I think the more sats. de GPS device sees, the more accurate. I also saw a difference of approx. 250 meters when entering the GPS coords in G-Earth but didn't figure it out yet as I don't use my CF GPS numbers in G-Earth yet.

There was only a small difference between the values B4PCC on my CF GPS gives me and my Garmin eLegend. with the same difference of position in G-earth.

When I transfer my data from the garmin and import it into G-Earth, everthing is ok. Not sure why or what, but figure it out some time.

Scub.