Android Question Having setup problems.

Emmy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello, I just purchased b4a and i am having some issues setting it up. I think that the 7 minute to run first application should be changed, its not true. And i am not angry, just saying. :)

Only the downloads took 3 minutes, installation another 3 minutes. And It's been around 30 minutes and i am still waiting for the Android SDK manager to finish downlaoding who knows what. Well, I am still trying to figure out how to compile my first app.

There is not a help file with a supported command list (at least not one esy to find).

The tutorials are outdated, and the step-by-step guides are different to the newest versions one can download. I cant create my first AVD (OK button is grayed with the message no CPU/AVI available for this target).

The installer should include a working version of the SDK (no matter if it is outdated as long as it fits the step-by-step tutorials).

Anyway, what can i do to get all of this working? Is there an up-to-date setup tutorial?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emmy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello udg, yes, i am on it. :) Thanks.

Android SDK is still downloading stuff, so, i went ahead and started reading that.
The pictures are different but i will try once everything is downloaded.

Just a question... im not sure... b4a is capable of compiling advanced games?

Thx!

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Emmy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks! I will take a look at that. Im eager to start playing with it to create games.

I am not a game developer either, i am a windows developer, in fact, I was creating
a BASIC compiler for android as well (I have created several BASIC compilers for
several platforms), i might finish it later, but i kind of want to develop a game now.

:)

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@lemonisdead : two likes in a row..my wife is getting jealous :)

@Emmy : another member's name to recall and keep in high regard.. lemonisdead :rolleyes: (this could lead to the third like in a row.. eh eh)

Well, my dinner is ready. If I don't come on line on the next few days it was for venom in my meal :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that the 7 minute to run first application should be changed, its not true.
The 7 minutes (which is a bit stretch) is for remote compilation mode. In that mode you don't need to install Android SDK.

I recommend you to avoid using the Android emulator at all. It is slow and unreliable.

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,
you know that I already stated that B4x tools got us from the RAD (Rapid Application Development) era to the BFD (Blazingly Fast Development) one.
I could write my first app in no time after installation while, honestly, my last BASIC program was written using QuickBasic 1.0 ! (oops, I guess that this last one makes me an ex-teenager :) )
Usually, the most difficult part is to find the right spot through all the docs and threads in the forum, but here a fantastic community is always of great help.
BTW, I am not writing this because we're close to Xmas and we're all expected to be kinder..it's simply the truth as anyone here experienced by himself.

Umberto

Upvote 0

Emmy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the clarification Erel, for a new user a remote compilation is very obscure, one comes with the paradigm that the android SDK is absolutely required and cannot imagine there is such feature in b4a. :) Great feature BTW, although in this paranoic days i wonder how many people will use it.

Upvote 0