Android Question HELP need a Bulletproof method of downloading large files!

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, I have an App thats quite popular, and downloads files between 200 - 800Mb! I have good paid hosting
and for a while my users complain that the program fails on downloads! I experience it very rarely! but some people get it all the time!

I have paid, fast reliable hosting! and just as a test bought access to another server! and that is actually worse!

The problem is I dont know if its the Server or the app! I have tried different methods of downloading using the httputils2 method, the Asyncdownload method, I have just tried the downloadmanager method, and that seems better, but passes the download even if it fails! giving me errors in the zip file!

Can any recommend a good way to definitely download the file? im using the HTTP method, as I have tried the FTP method and that is incredibly Slooooow!

Ideally get the file size! make sure it downlaods the exact size! if not retry! ideally with resume!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Aidy

I

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I use a certain GPS app that when firing up updates alerts me the the file to download is "large" and therefore I should use a wifi connection... from the user point of view, this approach would minimize the download failure ratio

Upvote 0

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use a certain GPS app that when firing up updates alerts me the the file to download is "large" and therefore I should use a wifi connection... from the user point of view, this approach would minimize the download failure ratio

99% of my users are on Lan or Wifi, my app is mainly for Android TV Boxes for XBMC/KODI i would say 1% use my app on a phone

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
99% of my users are on Lan or Wifi, my app is mainly for Android TV Boxes for XBMC/KODI i would say 1% use my app on a phone
so I suppose the files you talk about are media files... why not stream them?
also, There's a class on the forum specialized in downloading huge files with resume capabilities...

Upvote 0

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
so I suppose the files you talk about are media files... why not stream them?
also, There's a class on the forum specialized in downloading huge files with resume capabilities...

HI no, they are large zip files 200-800meg! they are my setups for xbmc/kodi the files are hosted on paid server. they dont fail all the time! just sometimes, im looking for a way to make sure they dont fail and frustrate my customers! I have looked for donwload and resume, but come to a library with no documentation, It says use it as a service module, I have tried that but I dont know how to start the download! is that the one you are talking about??

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
have you taken a look at download manager lib? it uses the system download manager so it should be a better(?) solution

I found this:

RSAsyncDownloader

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
have you taken a look at download manager lib? it uses the system download manager so it should be a better(?) solution

I switched to that yesterday, and it does seem more stable! however, i would like to use my own progress bar but that doesnt seem an option, also whilst more stable, i was still hoping to find some way of resuming lost downloads. but thatnk you for your help!

Upvote 0

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
I edited my last post, maybe it helps

HI, Thanks again for your help, That was what I used for quite a while, too! I started with the HTTPUtils, then moved to RSASync, Now Im on Download manager, As with each one users reported the same fault, ie Downloads Failing! it looks like im going to have to try some sort of file size checking and re downloading. as it must be something else, I myself have seen the error about 0.01% of the time! about 5 times in the whole life of the App! however its becoming critical now, as i am selling custom versions of my App to device manufacturers/resellers. And they are pointing out the failure to me also. Im wondering if it something to do with there location, most are in china, and my server is based in the UK!?

But thanks Again for your help

Upvote 0