iOS Question Hosted Mac Builder very very slow since some days and getting more slower this morning.

PierPaduan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

When I send my project to the hosted Builder, then in about one minute I receive on my iPhone that a remote IP want install the app. I click "Install" on the iphone and then.... it remain waiting for installation and may pass some minutes (last time 13 minutes) before the installation complete. Last Friday morning was still acceptable, but in the afternoon and this morning the installation is really really slow. I can't install in debug mode because the IDE turn off the debug windows before the install complete (and the Process Timeout is 900s).

What's happening? Am I doing something wrong? Or what else?

Thanks to everybody.

QtechLab

Licensed User
Longtime User
It could be your connection problem also. Do a check of your connection on speed test.
Check the dimension of your project, large image takes long time to be uploaded to the remote server.

Upvote 0

PierPaduan

Licensed User
Longtime User
It could be your connection problem also. Do a check of your connection on speed test.
Check the dimension of your project, large image takes long time to be uploaded to the remote server.

Hi Marcello, thanks for your reply. I have 5.8Mbps download and 94.6Mbps upload.
The transfer to the remote compiler is in about 30 seconds, then about 5 to 14 minutes of waiting, then 5 seconds for installation.
The ipa is less then 3MB.

Upvote 0

PierPaduan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately I don't have another device to test with.
Restarted iPhone, restarted B4i, cleaned Project.
About 20 seconds to send data to remote compiler.
Then clicked on Install.
After about 2 minutes the debug window closed, but the waiting and installartion has finished almost 2 minutes after.

Why so long time from the moment when I click on Install and the beginning of the Intallation?
Might be a transmission queue in your server?

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately I don't have another device to test with.
Restarted iPhone, restarted B4i, cleaned Project.
About 20 seconds to send data to remote compiler.
Then clicked on Install.
After about 2 minutes the debug window closed, but the waiting and installartion has finished almost 2 minutes after.

Why so long time from the moment when I click on Install and the beginning of the Intallation?
Might be a transmission queue in your server?
it is probably not caused by the server as Erel tested it , and i am using the builder all day long without any problems. Sometimes my device also waits too much after clicking install but restarting the phone was fixing the issue and sometimes even restarting the wireless connection fixed it.

Upvote 0

PierPaduan

Licensed User
Longtime User
it is probably not caused by the server as Erel tested it , and i am using the builder all day long without any problems. Sometimes my device also waits too much after clicking install but restarting the phone was fixing the issue and sometimes even restarting the wireless connection fixed it.
Turned off and restarted the wireless connection. The waiting time remain about 4 minutes. Too much. :(:(:(:(

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've tested your project. It takes about 10 seconds for the app to be installed after I click on the Install button. The whole process, from clicking on Run to the app running, took about 30 seconds.
I tested it on iPhone 6.

I recommend you to take the data out of the code. You can easily move it to one or more text files. It will make everything faster and easier to maintain.

You should also add these lines to support iOS 10:
B4X:
#PlistExtra:<key>NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription</key><string>Select a photo.</string>
#PlistExtra:<key>NSCameraUsageDescription</key><string>Taking a photo.</string>
#PlistExtra:<key>NSMicrophoneUsageDescription</key><string>Record video.</string>

Upvote 0

PierPaduan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for your help.
Here today about 10 minutes instead. I'm using an iPhone 4S. I will try to obtain another device to test with and I hope that this will fix the problem.

I recommend you to take the data out of the code. You can easily move it to one or more text files. It will make everything faster and easier to maintain.
[/code]
Sorry... which "data" in the code are you talking about? Do you have an example?

Lines added.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Example:

SS-2017-02-28_11.07.41.png

Another example:

SS-2017-02-28_11.08.33.png

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I notice some delay aswell at this moment.

Compile is fast and the install dialogue appears right away.

when clicking install I get a black icon sometimes for 30+ seconds before the circular install icons shows up.

Compared to 10 minutes this is still acceptable for me tho.

Upvote 0

PierPaduan

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have installed on the same iPhone a little example project and its waiting phase has been no more then 30 seconds.
After that I installed my project and it takes a waiting of 10+ minutes again.

I will try to move data out of the code and to change device. For the moment I proceed with Release mode.
Thanks to everyone.

Upvote 0

PierPaduan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi.
An update.
I tried yesterday and today on an iPad .

Yesterday I has been able to install on iPad (iOS v.9.3.5) and the waiting time (sometimes, not all times) was about 1min 30s, so Debug Mode has been possible.
Today the waiting time on iPad has been every time a little more than 2 mins up to 4 mins, so the Debug Mode was not possible. Release Mode waiting time was about 10 to 15 minutes.

Today on iPhone (iOS v.8.4.1) waiting time in Debug Mode has been about 4 mins and in Release mode was about 12 minutes.

I have tried removing a great part of the data inside the code too, but this doesn't change the waiting time.
Turn off and on the devices doesn't change the waiting time.

But if I install a little example project, the waiting time is more or less 30 seconds.
What's wrong in my project?

:(:(:(
Develop using Release Mode is not very easy.
I will try to obtain an iPhone 6 to test it.
Thanks to everyone.

Upvote 0

PierPaduan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi.
Another update.

This afternoon, on iPhone 4S:
Debug Mode Waiting Time about 15 seconds.
Release Mode Waiting Time about 40 seconds.

I didn't performed in the code significant changes from yesterday. May be that something is changed in the Hosted Builder?
Thank you very much.

Upvote 0