How are you dealing with hot weather?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
While we have our second heatwave this summer I was wondering how people like Erel, Ilan and members from countries like Australia, Brasil etc are dealing with hot temperatures.

Yesterday we crossed 40°C for the first time ever in Belgium and that's meassured in an official temperature box in the shade. So it's 45+ in the direct sun.

Just going outside is like getting a hit of a hammer and sweat breaks out from just walking around.

Inside in the living room it's currently 28.5C at noon so it will increase a little and that's after putting a white plastic UV protective cover on the glass dome in the kitchen. It's the first time I did this if not it would be 30+ inhere for sure.

As high temps are rare here most people don't have airco in their house.
I have a portable one in my sleeping room which is just under the roof top.
But with a velux with roller shutter that's closed from when I get up it's still extremely hot inthere at night.
The old glass wool is probably the cause here. Maybe PIR/PUR plates are better here but I've read that once the heat is in the PIR/PUR doesn't let it out either.

Anyway... all this leads to a drop in motivation/activities and besides reading this forum and some news sites not much is happening here since Monday :)

The only positive about it is that I switched from cola zero to grenadine and drink a lot of non carbonic acid water (I can't drink it without some taste in it like grendaine) and have a less blown up feeling.
Maybe some weight loss aswell as the urge to eat ain't what it used to be either.

For some of us this is usual and maybe for several months per year so respect for that.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
While we have our second heatwave this summer I was wondering how people like Erel, Ilan and members from countries like Australia, Brasil etc are dealing with hot temperatures.

Yesterday we crossed 40°C for the first time ever in Belgium and that's meassured in an official temperature box in the shade. So it's 45+ in the direct sun.

Just going outside is like getting a hit of a hammer and sweat breaks out from just walking around.

Inside in the living room it's currently 28.5C at noon so it will increase a little and that's after putting a white plastic UV protective cover on the glass dome in the kitchen. It's the first time I did this if not it would be 30+ inhere for sure.

I have a portable one in my sleeping room which is just under the roof top.
But with a velux with roller shutter that's closed from when I get up it's still extremely hot inthere at night.
The old glass wool is probably the cause here. Maybe PIR/PUR plates are better here but I've read that once the heat is in the PIR/PUR doesn't let it out either.

Anyway... all this leads to a drop in motivation/activities and besides reading this forum and some news sites not much is happening here since Monday :)

The only positive about it is that I switched from cola zero to grenadine and drink a lot of non carbonic acid water (I can't drink it without some taste in it like grendaine) and have a less blown up feeling.
Maybe some weight loss aswell as the urge to eat ain't what it used to be either.

For some of us this is usual and maybe for several months per year so respect for that.
We have never had such freezing temperatures in Sicily in the summer I wouldn't know what to recommend

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Since it's an isle/island you probably get some winds that cools down the temperature.

I'm 100Km away from the coast and while it's 40C here it was around 32C there if I recall right just from the fresh wind coming from over the nothsea.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Not the case here in Israel. An air conditioner is installed in almost all buildings.
We also have a kids pool and you can find me cooling there if you come at the right time :)

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
Minimun is a cooling fan.
Outside a head covering cap is a must have also useable or towel or jacket to block sun.
From Holidays in Thailand i remember
u need drink a lot and take always something to drink with at a trip.
in city the people like going into shops because air condition.

let us hope that we get no power outage ..

my thought about weather - if we get permanent +50°C or -50°C it have a lot of consequences and also most people would die.

its incredible that +10 °C more at home or in office is unpleasant noticeable.

ice cubes are also a must have for nice cool drinks.

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Right, but when I was in May (2001?) around Tel Aviv & Jerusalem temperatures like what we have now are quite common so it makes sense that you see all these air co's in front of windows.

Overhere a heatwave happends when 3 days in a row is 30+C and during the night 20+C.

You have maybe one heatwave but it lasts 4+ months :)

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yesterday we crossed 40°C for the first time ever in Belgium
with 42,8 Degree we set up a new Highscore for Germany too.

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My living room was 35C yesterday, I don't mind the heat, but the humidity was horrible.
Today it's a comfy 32C as the humidity has dropped.

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
when living in a country with temp >38°C,
I understand, we have to drink hot water, tea or coffee.. have to be a hot drink.

and cover your body from sun..

missing that ahah :)

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
so here in south africa we've grown up with those temperatures in most places so we don't worry about it. its just the way it is.

AIRCON is not standard issue installation; seems like its an optional extra.

its not that we have to cope with it; most of us love it ... but don't worry we do take strain at times and can over do the sun bathing and / or the great outdoors - then it can be bodily hell

in some areas temperatures can swing from daytime 40+ down to night time -5 -> -10 (°C) on a regular basis especially in the mid-year

in zimbabwe when i lived there years ago, they used to have a month called SUICIDE month, October, %^$&*(*^$ HOT

anything below 15°c is murder for me.

take care, take some sun and make some vitamin D I hear its good for indoor madness. :D

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok. Spoiled. AC unit takes care of the heat, but at a cost. The first two weeks of July my household used as much electricity as all of June. :eek:. Since the temperatures did not go below 80 Fahrenheit here, the unit never stopped (or so it seemed) for days.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Above 40 degree centigrade is normal summer temperature here, Kolkata, India. Also we have to fend with high humidity.

This year summer broke many records in heat waves, but we have become accustom to it. Ac and cooler sales are high and available in cheaper price too, comparatively.

Regards,

Anand

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
oh joy... it started raining just before noon.

while the inside temperature started to increase even more (28.7 > 29.2) after a few minutes due to the warm air that came in due to the raining
it started dropping again after a while as the outside air is getting colder.

we're now at a 'comfy' 26.6C

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last week I got my leg seriously injured. So I'll be, at least for some weeks, at home with my air conditioning turned on, the fridge full of refreshing drinks (ok, mostly beers), netflix/hbo and my laptop ;)

IMG_20190720_164338.jpg

DawningTruth

Licensed User
Lovely winter this year in South Africa. Middle of the day around 22 degrees C. The mildest winter we have had in all the years I have lived.