How computer or Tablet/Mobile can speak English or others?

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
I doubt that how computer or tablet/mobile can speak English or others? (These known only Binary code i.e 10101011 1011111 1 ) Is there dictionary about matching between words and words'sounded? I need to apply with Thai language. I don't know that how to design matching between words and words'sounded?

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Theera,

when you take a dictionary, all words have a phonetic description how to spell it. See here:

International Phonetic Alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a standard to describe, how a word is spelled and every word is cut into syllables.

E.g. the word "nice":

Here you have:

the "n", an "i" and a sound like "ss".

A computer uses samples (recorded audio) to produce the output. You would need a set of recorded syllables which will be put together to build a whole word.

For "nice" you would have 3 audio files ("n", "i", "ss").

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want to use the Thai language you could use the Anroid's build in "Text to speech" function. I don't know if there's a Thai language set.

http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-getting-started-tutorials/7043-android-text-speech-example.html

I had some "Text to Speech" programs since 1985. These could only speak in English, so I used a trick (because I am from Germany). I transfered the syllables from English to "that sounds like German".

E.g. the German "ei" would be an "i" in English. So you could do a Thai-sounding speech output (word by word).

Upvote 0

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Klaus Matle,
Thank you for kind of you. I have many tried to succeed the TTS. Now I have 3 libraries for this.(1.Separate words 2.Check the word is Thai 3.Mp3Joiner for merge sounded) I've been looking for others Thai developler's strategies. I found only 2 strategies. I think that the first dictionary(dict1.png) is suitable for my strategy because it could be delveloped for using VoiceRecognition too. But I don't be known to where keep word's voice is? How to matching between word and word's sounded?

P.S. Example Thai Language: ผมรักโปรแกรม Basic4Android
step1: Using Separate words Lib ,Result is ผม รัก โปรแกรม Basic4Android
step2: Check each words is Thai,Result is ผม.mp3 รัก.mp3 โปรแกรม.mp3 Basic4Android
step3: Using Mp3Joiner to merge all of sounds to one file and using mediaplayer library to play

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi again,

if I understand you right, you want do the following:

Make an APP which speeks in Thai (Text to speech)

I would use the example I have posted (from Erel).

Question: Isn't there a Thai language set available for Android devices (like German or English here in Europe?)

If not, I would use the English language set and make a simple "translation matrix" (as you did). I don't have any examples for Thai but in German here's an example:

The German word "Kindergarten" (same in English) would be transfered to "Keendergurtaen" (in German we spell the "i" like "ee" in English). So I would send "Keen der gur taen" to the Speech API and the word sounds English.

It's the same in Thai or any other language (assuming we have the English language set only to work with). So you don't need to join MP3's (or even record it) :)

So there are two ways for you:

1. Get a Thai language set for Android

or

2. use the English set and build a matrix of Thai word -> Phrase with the "sound alike" English phrase.

Upvote 0

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Klaus Matle,IanMC

Thank you IanMc,Yes I do.

@Klaus Matle,
2. use the English set and build a matrix of Thai word -> Phrase with the "sound alike" English phrase.
The second,My Language can't do,because the sounded unlike English. My Langauge has melody sounded.
Example : The three words'sounded are same sound. คา, ค่า, ค้า = Kha
The another way,I have download Vaja widget which can speak Thai ,but the sounded is not natural Thai people's sound. however,I thank you for kind of you again.

Upvote 0