How Many Languages Have You Programmed In?

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Z80 -8080-68000 assembler
Basic spectrum
Basic casio zx-880
Vax basic
Turbo Pascal
Amos pro (commodore Amiga)
Labview LabVIEW
PLC Schneider
AS/400 programming
ASP/HTML/vbscript
Vb/VBA
Twitter Bootstrap/javascript/Php
B4x (b4i,b4j,b4x)

It's a shame I didn't achieve a high level on most of these programming languages. :.(

WAZUMBi

Licensed User
Longtime User
This discussion reminds me of a comic I saw somewhere...

devhumor-com_programs.jpg

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
More or less in order as close as I remember

RPG II (School)
Fortran (School)
Cobol (School)
ASM
ANSI Pascal
C
Sbasic (CP/M)
Cbasic (CP/M)
LISP
Zbasic (MSDOS)
Turbo Pascal
C++
ADA
Delphi
Objective Pascal
Objective C
B4A
Java

There were a few others that I played around with for a short time. I never did much with any of the above except ASM, C, C++, and Turbo Pascal/Delphi until B4a came along. That led to learning more Java to do libraries. With anything other than those, I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag today.

--- Jem

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
HotShoe, aaaahhhhh, cbasic in CP/M Got me my first programming job. :) A Osborne 'Lugable' as we used to call them.

osborne1.jpg

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
HotShoe, aaaahhhhh, cbasic in CP/M Got me my first programming job. :) A Osborne 'Lugable' as we used to call them.

I worked with mostly the Kaypro machines back then, but had an Osborne for a while as well.

--- Jem

imbault

Licensed User
Longtime User
I will start with my languages :)
Basic4ppc, B4A, B4J and B4i.

Other:
GW Basic, eVB, Visual Basic, C#, Java, Objective C, C, SQL, PHP and JavaScript

As a student:
Assembler, C++, ML and SmallTalk
@Erel , which of these languages is the more powerful, elegant and efficient (productive) of course? Java...?

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I beg your pardon, as you already know, I am not an expert. Please, what do you mean by evolved for a programing language ?
I am definitely not qualified to answer that, but from what I know it is a very modern language designed to learn from the mistakes of many old ones and incorporates many modern paradigms gracefully. But I am not advocating it.

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
@thedesolatesoul : I do thank you, I have thought that I had made an error while choosing b4a (really) but as it is simple that's not a mistake.
And for the Fun : why not the Malbolge (some guys are crazy)

Users are encouraged to make their own, unique homebrew versions of Malbolge and Dis, in order to achieve the kind of portability problems normally associated with major languages

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What was funny in the Motorola 6809 instruction set was the SEX command (sign extend) .. every time I tried to use it I got confused... I think they took that command name off in subsequent versions.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
which of these languages is the more powerful, elegant and efficient (productive) of course? Java...?
It depends on what you are trying to implement. For a back-end server I will definitely choose B4J.

Objective C vs. C# vs. Java:

Objective C is quite bad as it is a strange combination between two layers: super static C and the very dynamic Objective C.
Personally I prefer Java over C#. It is actually Java + Eclipse over C# + Visual Studio.

Java is simpler and I think that is easier to master.