How much do you earn via your Android app [paid or free]?

Widget

Licensed User
Longtime User
I came across the quora.com site today and found it a very interesting read. Developers describe their experience monetizing their Android apps and give suggestions on how to increase revenues.

It is definitely worth a read. I'm sure you can gleam something from it.

http://www.quora.com/How-much-do-you-earn-via-your-Android-app-paid-or-free

If B4A developers have similar links or personal experience at improving app monetization, feel free to post them.

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting read.
It keeps us going, right? ;)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
From that blog:

"The game was something like billiards but has a unique gameplay and a unique name so it did not well on searchings"
What "has a unique gameplay" means?

"There were some popular card games in Turkey. I developed the first online versions of these games in android. They become popular by the help of being the first and become addictive by the help of the chat feature in the game"
This is exactly what I have in my mind for over 2 years and I was (am) sure that my game has very good chances! (when I posted this I was already thinking about it for some time). Unfortunately, I'm also so stupid that I've wasted a lot of time. I'm sure that my game can obtain about 50,000/100,000 "views of Interstitials" (I don't know their correct definition) per day. And, please, note that I'm almost always sure of... nothing!

I prefer not to read the rest of that text, otherwise I know I will fight violently my stupid head against a wall!

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What "has a unique gameplay" means?

that it has something different than the regular billiard/snooker game.

B4X:
There were some popular card games in Turkey. I developed the first online versions of these games in android.

the chances are quite high that such cardgame already is onthere but under a different name (english naming whatever)

but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't make it. I had this "logic" of "it exist, skip it" and when I think about it this was probably a mistake :)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
that it has something different than the regular billiard/snooker game.
Yes, now I understand, thank you :)

the chances are quite high that such cardgame already is onthere but under a different name (english naming whatever)

but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't make it. I had this "logic" of "it exist, skip it" and when I think about it this was probably a mistake :)
About this, I misheard that text and also I have explained badly.
I thought that the author had published a turkish card game never published before, with chat, and thanks to it he had earned well.
Anyway, I know that I was a fool for not having made efforts in the development of my game, because it does not exist on markets and it is a game that is attractive like Poker.
Thinking better, the first six months I have not devoted time to it because of another commitment; however, I would have to publish it at least a year ago and now I would earn at least $ 100 / day... I'm sure:
And, please, note that I'm almost always sure of... nothing!
:):(:mad:
:p <--- last one, they are already too much.

Thank you, @sorex

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't make it. I had this "logic" of "it exist, skip it" and when I think about it this was probably a mistake

This is absolutely right. When I made my TV app, there was an app that got 90% users in my country (I investigated it in 2 months). But I still wanted to make my app because I saw their weakness: They used Flash embeded in webview to play video. At that time, Android devices not powerful like today and Flash eats a lot of resource so their app crashed easily on low end devices.
I made my app in another way by using Vitamio plugin (with a lot of help from B4A friends). My app easily beat their app and became the number 1 in TV category. It got totally more than 2 million downloads, I earned more than 100,000$ just by display ads. And how about their app? They started to use Vitamio too! You see, from the new comer I took the lead and they need to follow me.
If at first, I was afraid of their success and didn't make my app, I couldn't earn that huge money. I learned a lession: You can re-use old ideas but you need to make it better (add new functions, make more beautiful UI...).

So, don't be afraid just make your app today. :cool:

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
well, it doesn't mean that the copies always do better than the original.

if you don't try you wouldn't know how it turns out.

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Now I'm less sure: someone will copy my idea, creating a better app
Can you count how many Match-3 games? King's Candy Crush is just another Bejeweled (copied from PopCap) but they made millions of dollars!
Don't excuse yourself from not doing anything.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As a gamer, I really HATE ads and/or freemium content.
That said, despite seeing myslef as a good developer, I must admit I have no idea how to make money...

Therefore... not earnings at all with any of my current projects.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
in a world where everyone expects that apps are free there's not much choice.

free + ads : earn
free - ads : don't earn
payed app : earn but probably less since most people will just skip it
addremover: earns less than letting the ads roll in

in-app stuff should boost earnings if people by them

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
that are special cases.

they are on the stock market so that's not really income from ads or anything it's their market value that went up.

it has probably millions of players each day and they try to attract companies aswell who invest to have a special pokemon in front of their shops.