How much do you love english pronunciation?

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
MikeRowe.jpg

Mike Rowe :) Has a tv show named "Dirty Jobs" here in the USA.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
English suffers from lack of vocabulary.. not enough words to express yourself correctly and satisfactory. for example:
In Arabic a lion has 99 names, while in English Lion is the name of 99 animals (just stretching the fact a little bit).
Poor in names.
In English you say Uncle to your father's brother, mother's brother and may be more.. In Chinese, boy! forget.. Just take your father's brother, which Uncle you mean? the big one who was born first? or the middle or the younger? then you come to the other uncles.. So if a Chinese person told you that man is my uncle , you immediately have more information about his uncle (embedded in the name) than the information you get from an English friend who point you to his un-identified uncle (UIU) :)

WAZUMBi

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Beja - You are wise beyond my years. Sometimes I simply am unable to comprehend what the hell you are saying... I then revert back to my 6 year old who speaks more on a level I can understand...

confused-152x300.jpg

He then inevitably begin to ask questions about God and the origins of life to which I feel like sticking my head in the ground like an ostrich...

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
I often rename things to my own liking. It confuses the hell out of customers, but I figure as long as I understand what I mean, that's all that counts, right? :)

--- Jem

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In Portuguese, uncle (tio) can also mean single men of some social status. In Spanish, I believe it also means 'guy'.
Yet, we do have a very rich vocabulary, so that, it's very easy to play double meanings.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi WAZUMBi,
My life wisdom is: Concentrate and specialize on one thing to make a living (B4X programming for example).. but then explore all kind of human knowledge and experience, because it is your inheritance as a human being. In this sense, the culture of the most remote Amazon tribe is your heritage that whenever you could you should go there and squire it. I traveled in Asia, Europe, Africa and north America, and I hope I find the opportunity to see south America and Australia.