B4J Question how to save a webcam video stream in Vlcj?

Discussion in 'B4J Questions' started by rbirago, May 17, 2018 at 1:50 PM.

1. rbirago

rbirago Member Licensed User

Hi, I've tried Vlcj lib to show a webcam stream and it works fine...but how to save the stream on disc using a rec-start/rec-stop button?

thanks

Roberto

2. moster67

moster67 Expert Licensed User

You could try something like this (tested some time ago when I wrote the wrapper):

Code:
    Dim Options() As String
    Options = 
    Array As String(":dshow-vdev=Microsoft® LifeCam HD-3000"$":sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,acodec=mpga,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:file{dst=C:\Users\moste\_test5.mp4,no-overwrite}"$)

Dim jo As JavaObject = vlc1.player
    jo.RunMethodjo(
    "getMp",Null).RunMethod("playMedia"Array("dshow://", Options))
    Replace "webcam-info" and "sout-string" with your configuration.

Basically, you create a String array for the options.
    Then, using JavaObject, you can access an overload method of "playMedia" (which I did not expose in my library) which also takes "mediaOptions" as an argument.

Those options have really nothing to do with vlcj, rather they are VLC streaming/transcoding options so if you have problems, you should look at the VLC documentation.

PS: you may also need to explicitly invoke release() on the media player before your saved file will be ready.

PS2: Probably you want to save the raw stream rather than transcoding it - you need to experiment.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM
    inakigarm and DonManfred like this.
  3. rbirago

rbirago Member Licensed User

thanks for the answer. Effectively I was just looking in that direction. Your suggestion confirms that it's the right way. When I'll reach some success I shall inform you.

Harris likes this.