Android Question How to sideload APK using Windows software

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Rick Harris, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Rick Harris

Rick Harris Well-Known Member Licensed User

Does anyone know of Windows software with which an Android APK can be sideloaded (pushed) onto an Android device via USB? I know that B4A software does this all the time. I want to give my distributors a small piece of software with which they can install my apps onto Android smartwatches without the need to go via the Play store. The APK would be supplied as an e-mail attachment or by means of downloading it from my website.

Note: Most commercial software I have found so far requires the need to install the full Android SDK. I am trying to avoid that.

2. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

3. canalrun

canalrun Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hello,
    I have used a, sort of, seamless solution with one client.

It does require that the B4A bridge be installed on the client's device, but that is a free download.

I wrote a tool using B4J that runs on Windows called loadAPK. It's available on these forums.

I send the APK via email to the client (within a zip file). The client unzips on a Windows computer. The client runs the B4A bridge on his device and selects Start – Wireless. On the Windows computer he runs loadAPK, connects to his device, selects the APK, installs. On his device he presses the couple buttons to complete installation. I believe he also had to modify the security settings within Android to "Allow Unknown Sources".

Barry.

Rick Harris likes this.
  4. Rick Harris

Rick Harris Well-Known Member Licensed User

Thank you very much. Where can I find the "loadAPK" executable (or Setup) for Windows?
    You write "available on these forums", but I can't find it in the B4A forum nor on Google.

5. canalrun

Hello,
    It can be found here: http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/load-apk.44025/#post-353367

I see that somebody has also uploaded an improved version. You may want to give that a try.

LoadAPK.jar is included in the download zip file. This would be the executable file. I forgot it does require that Java be loaded on the Windows computer. There are programs that will make a standard .exe from a .jar file. I don't know of any, offhand.

Barry.

Rick Harris likes this.
  6. canalrun

Rick Harris and mangojack like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice