How To Turn Off Suggestions On a 4.1.1 OS Tablet

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
I tried the following two methods on a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7 inch to turn off suggestions, but neither works:
B4X:
inputText.InputType=Bit.OR(inputText.InputType, 524288)
or:
B4X:
inputText.InputType= 524288
Does anybody have a workaround.
Thank you very much

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Try this one :
B4X:
inputText.InputType = Bit.Or(inputText.INPUT_TYPE_TEXT, 524288)
TYPE_TEXT_FLAG_NO_SUGGESTIONS is a flag for the TYPE_CLASS_TEXT class.

Best regards.

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
I tried this per Klaus's suggestion, but still shows suggestions:
B4X:
Dim inputText As InputDialog
      inputText.PasswordMode=True
      inputText.InputType = Bit.OR(inputText.INPUT_TYPE_TEXT, 524288) 'Does not work

Upvote 0

gregmartin64

Licensed User
This will also only work when you compile with API version 5 and above, also, devices do not have to honor the request :confused:

In Java I used to use the setThreshold() method to set the number of characters+1 of the input length that must be entered before a prediction is made. But I don't think this is exposed in B4A? Maybe Erel can answer that.

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Erel Asks: Does it work on your device with a regular EditText?
Mahares Answers: It is still showing suggestions even with an edittext on Tab2 OS4.1.1. I even changed the SDK from 4 to 10, but it did not help.
I tried a tablet with OS 4.03. it works properly (no suggestion) with an edit text and an inputext dialog box.

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
I hope someone can still answer this thread for me since I am dealing with a password input that should not show suggestions, as my post #7 was accidentally covered up by an unrelated post.
Thanks

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Unfortunately the gregmartin64 suggestion of using setThreshold won't work as it applies to the AutoCompleteTextView type and not the EditText type used by Basic4android.

However EditText1.InputType = 144 seems to work on my Xoom. 144 is InputType.TYPE_TEXT_VARIATION_VISIBLE_PASSWORD. You could also try 128 which is InputType.TYPE_TEXT_VARIATION_PASSWORD and has the same effect as 144 on my Xoom.

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
@Andrew (agraham): Using 144 as you suggested works on the Samsung Tab2. It does suppress the suggestions.
I appreciate your value to the forum

Upvote 0