Android Question HttpJob.PostString connection timeout

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a B4J server running that I want to sent a message to from a B4A app, then have the server respond with a Firebase Cloud Message (FCM). I've tested the FCM between the server & client app & it all works fine - however the problem I'm having is that when I try to connect to the B4J server from the B4A app using HttpJob.PostString, nothing happens for a while, then I get the following message in the log:

Error: org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to .. timed out

Both the device that the B4A app is running on & the PC that the B4J server is running on are connected to my local network. If I go into Chrome & type in:

The B4J app log shows me that a connection has been made, however when I execute:

B4X:
Dim j As HttpJob
j.Initialize("send string", Me)
j.PostString(link, request)

from the B4A app, I get the connection timeout message. The "link" parameter in the PostString call is a global string variable set to "http://192.168.1.7:51044/message" & I have verified that this is correct by copying & pasting it into Chrome & seeing that it connects with the server.

Any ideas why Chrome connects but the app times out? Fyi, I have tried using localhost & 127.0.0.1 & they both work in Chrome, but fail in the app (with a connection refused message).

Thanks - Colin.

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you opened port 50144 (TCP) in Windows firewall?
Hi Erel,

I hadn't, but I have now & it still times out.

EDIT: It turns out that it is a firewall problem, however setting up rules to open the port doesn't fix it. The only way I can get it to work is to turn off the public profile on Windows Firewall.

EDIT 2: Well after much screwing around with the inbound rules on the firewall, I was able to get it working. Not really sure how, because as far as I can tell the custom rule is set up as I had it in the past - but it's working now.
- Colin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0