Android Question I want to protect my app

Shivito1

Licensed User
Hi I have an app on Play Store called Subtitle Reader - Subreader. I have not yet done any legal protection. My concern is that someone will copy my app and paten it and force me to remove mine.
Question: is the above possible?
ps. If someone just copied my app I would not lose sleep but my concern is that they could force me to remove mine.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Based on the limited amount of information I'd say not - as the App store can see who got there first and of course it depends on 'what' you believe you can patent about the app....

Upvote 0

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
Re: Patenting your software/app...

Patent Law is different depending on the country so make sure to research yours. Maybe someone on the forum is/was a patent attorney that can give detailed advice? I am not but I have had experience in patenting and selling my own patents over 30+ years. Here is the most relevant advice ... do you have the resources (expertise, time, money) to protect your patent? If not, then don't even get started. It's that simple. Formally copyright it, yes, absolutely. Copyright and Patent are two completely different things.

As far as having someone having your app removed from a store ... I'd imagine there are a vast array of things that can make that happen beyond someone claiming that it was theirs first.

Upvote 0

Shivito1

Licensed User
Based on the limited amount of information I'd say not - as the App store can see who got there first and of course it depends on 'what' you believe you can patent about the app....
Thanks for your reply. Copyrighting my app is not something I'm after. Just curious wither legally someone could say that they had the idea first and thus get a copyright for there app. Which then would become a legal issue. idk I am likely over thinking it.

Upvote 0

Shivito1

Licensed User
Re: Patenting your software/app...

Patent Law is different depending on the country so make sure to research yours. Maybe someone on the forum is/was a patent attorney that can give detailed advice? I am not but I have had experience in patenting and selling my own patents over 30+ years. Here is the most relevant advice ... do you have the resources (expertise, time, money) to protect your patent? If not, then don't even get started. It's that simple. Formally copyright it, yes, absolutely. Copyright and Patent are two completely different things.

As far as having someone having your app removed from a store ... I'd imagine there are a vast array of things that can make that happen beyond someone claiming that it was theirs first.

Thanks for the reply. I think this is going to be quite the head ach and I don't have the time to dedicate. I will research this further.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In Europe you cannot file a patent for software - only procedures related to devices are ammissibile. In the US I believe it's possible though.

However, normally your software is protected by copyright laws (Authors’ rights) instead and remains yours. For instance, in many countries, even if you develop an app for a company using their equipment and during office hours, the software is still yours although the company has the rights what regards its distribution and commercialization (unless you signed a contract where you revoke those rights).

I am not a patent attorney but I have experience with these matters. If you really want to know your options, you should consult an IP-agency (Intellectual Property).

Upvote 0

GonzaloR

Licensed User
In Spain you can not patent software except in very isolated cases.
But if you can register in this case the software so that in case of theft you can say that this is yours.
Here you are asked to apply with the source code and the document as best as possible your application. They pay about 10 €.
It is called the intellectual property registry.
A greeting.

Upvote 0

Shivito1

Licensed User
In Spain you can not patent software except in very isolated cases.
But if you can register in this case the software so that in case of theft you can say that this is yours.
Here you are asked to apply with the source code and the document as best as possible your application. They pay about 10 €.
It is called the intellectual property registry.
A greeting.
Thanks for the reply :)

Upvote 0