IDE problems

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Working with AVD is a real pain for me. When I compile, or try to use Designer very often get aeither a warning message, error message or sometimes the screen simply freezes which requires B4A restart. I installed software on my notebook and similar problems occur. I know my SDK is fine (no corruption) as I use it with other tools as well as Eclipse and have no problem at all.
Is there any way to do some kind of adjustments to the IDE so it will not pop up those anoying time-out messages ? Is there anything I can chack/fix to have Emulator work smoother. This problem does not apear on all Apps, only some of them. I also observed, whan I leave my Pc with Emulator open for some time and come back to continue work it gives me problems as well. Restarting AVD sometimes does, sometime does not help. I also have random issues with connecting to Emulator.

Any help appreciated.

Arthur

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, looks like it had helped a little (no more timeout), but still opening a screen (activity) in Emulator is terribly slow. I just test, and it took 1 min. to open the screen, so switching the Activities in Designer would be probably a pain o/b. I know Emulator is slow, this is everybody's complain, that's why perhaps you sould consider implementing a designer window to layout elements (as an alternative to Emulator, not everybody has access to use the real device). I have used some other tool with independant layout window and it worked great. There was no delays at all in opening a layout and no problems with manipulating elements. Screen elements were also places in certain order, grouped incely so accessing and switching among items was much more convenient and better organized. This perhaps could be a suggestion for the future releases (see attached screenshoot).

Arthur

Attachments

• B4A_sugestion01.jpg
    B4A_sugestion01.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not working on my home PC at the moment (which is top of the line ,achine), but I still have reliable computer (Pentium-4/1Gb Ram), so it is not so bad, but using Emulator and switching betwen compilation and design screen is very sloow. I tired this same on my notebook (which is small 11 inch machine with not so strong processor but has 2 gig of RAM), and it is a nightmare. I have problems connecting to Emulator, timeouts on compilation etc. Many times I simply cannot connect to display the screen.

I kno there is not way to influence Google Emulator to run faster, but perhaps B4A really needs its own designer screen to avoid those problems. Using Emulator for design brings another problem for me here, which is aligning objects (views) on the screen.

Is there any way I can compile and then have run a compiled App on real device, then keep the design screen open, so I do not have to reconnect every time I stop the App ?

Arthur

Upvote 0

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think you did not get my question. When I design the screen I'm connected to the local Emulator (on the PC). Lest's say I'm done and I want to compile the App and run it to see effects. Normaly when I do it (while still keeping Designer window open) it closes the Emulator screen and then runs the App in emulator. WHen I close the app in Emulator I'm back in the Project and Designer Window but I do not see my design screen.
I was thinking about keeping design screen open , while running the App on real device, however it looks like I ger the App fired up on whatever devise is selected for connection (unles I'm missing something and there is a way to connect to the two at the same time, having one for design and the other for runing).

Art

Upvote 0

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't understand this. How would I tell to run the App on my real device. When I hit F5 it sompiles and run it on a PC not the device (altough device is ready waiting for connection).

Art

Upvote 0

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, I got it, I had to disconnect and then reconnect in order to get device prompt. So it should work fine now - thanks.

Art

Upvote 0