ImageList problem

AVS

Hi Guyz.

I'm just trying out Basic4PPC for a few day's now.
Looks promising so far :)

but....
I've encountered a problem wich i dont understand/can fix

I looked up some examples here and if i want to embed images in the exe i need to add them to the ImageList through the design-editor.
This i cant do......
Look at screenshot below....the place where i can type in the imagenames is greyed out....read-only so to say.
How can i get my filenames there ?
imagelist.jpg

Thanks in advance.
AVS

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Probably because you are using a trial version that doesn't support compilation so you cannot produce an exe. It works fine in the registered version - go on buy it, you know it makes sense! :)

EDIT :- For trial purposes you can add them in your code using ImageList.Add

AVS

Yup...ik know it doesn't compile...so thats the reason i cant embed the images ?
Before i buy i want to know if its really useable....this forum surely helps alot in seeing different options/possibilities :sign0060:

AVS

Yes i'm Sure Erel :)
At start the name was ImageList1 and i just removed the 1 at the end....nothing more.

But are you saying that the 'data' field shouldn't be read-only even if i had a non-compiling version ?

I'm just building a little App just to see what basic4ppc can do for me.
I'm normally a VS C++ programmer (not proffesionally). But for 'simple' solutions a was looking for a way to get things 'done' in a quicker way :)
basic4ppc does thing sure in a quicker way. But its a bit figuring out at the same time.

I just encountered another problem.....
I've noticed that Labels are not transparant and a dialog with nice background and on top of it some labels really doesn't look nice.
I've looked at the DrawString option, but my problem is that i cant figure out how to get a text from the drawstring on top of a control. It only draws text on the dialog itself....
Is there a way to get text transparant over an Image control ?

digitaldon37

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes i'm Sure Erel :)
At start the name was ImageList1 and i just removed the 1 at the end....nothing more.

But are you saying that the 'data' field shouldn't be read-only even if i had a non-compiling version ?

I'm just building a little App just to see what basic4ppc can do for me.
I'm normally a VS C++ programmer (not proffesionally). But for 'simple' solutions a was looking for a way to get things 'done' in a quicker way :)
basic4ppc does thing sure in a quicker way. But its a bit figuring out at the same time.

I just encountered another problem.....
I've noticed that Labels are not transparant and a dialog with nice background and on top of it some labels really doesn't look nice.
I've looked at the DrawString option, but my problem is that i cant figure out how to get a text from the drawstring on top of a control. It only draws text on the dialog itself....
Is there a way to get text transparant over an Image control ?

I don't think there is a way with the standard B4PPC libraries, but there is a library developed by one of the members that has labels that have a transparent property. (you have to have purchased B4PPC to download)

From the fgControls help file:
Gets or sets whether an Label is transparent .

Syntax: Transparent

Example:
fgLab.Transparent = true

I started with B4PPC last year (I've done VB.NET programming as a hobby) and have been happy with it. B4PPC out of the box is simple but powerful, and if there's anything missing then someone has written a library to implement it.

AVS

Aha....
I had looked at that B4PObject(5) stuff in the helpfiles...but couldn't get a hold on it :)
Now i understand.

I started with B4PPC last year (I've done VB.NET programming as a hobby) and have been happy with it. B4PPC out of the box is simple but powerful, and if there's anything missing then someone has written a library to implement it.

I'm very enthousiastic about b4ppc :)
Is it written in Vb.net ?

AVS

It is possible to draw over images.
I've attached a small program that stores an image in an ImageList.
This image is displayed in an Image control and a string is written on it.

The ImageList part is not really necessary.

I did a little example on the tip you gave me and it indeed does draw some tekst over the image control. :)
However....It doesn't refresh if you want another drawstring-text over that same image control. It leaves the first text intact and writes the second tekst over it.
I couldn't find any options to clear out the first text so that the image is clean and can accept the second text.
It looks like if you use the drawstring option that it embeds the text on the image to only leave if you close the app en restart it again.

Am i right about this ?