Imo, viper, Skype alternative

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello everyone :)

We have noticed alot of people here in the forum that are looking for apps just like Skype or viper, video/audio chat.

If we started this project and sold the source code as little as 40$ would it be successful?

maXim

Licensed User
Longtime User
... yes, sure!;)

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If we started this project and sold the source code as little as 40$ would it be successful?
It would likely be very successful for you, judging by your previous projects.

As for whether the actual app would be successful, if one consider having so many users that it's an established standard outside special interest groups: Most likely not. There is brutal competition in that type of apps, making it exceptionally difficult to get a foothold.

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
It would likely be very successful for you, judging by your previous projects.

As for whether the actual app would be successful, if one consider having so many users that it's an established standard outside special interest groups: Most likely not. There is brutal competition in that type of apps, making it exceptionally difficult to get a foothold.
Then let's add features to it to make it exceptional :)

Let me start with one, how about group meetings? For example 5 people in the same video call :)

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Second feature :
Streaming live video chats like twitch and other people could join :)

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Then let's add features to it to make it exceptional :)
That's your first problem, thinking that features is what makes the difference. It's not. It's creating a network effect by somehow making sure lots of users have the app installed, and actually use it.

Network effect

That said, I'm not aiming at raining on anybodys parade. :) Give it a shot, but don't fall in the standard developer trap of thinking "this is a problem, but I CAN SOLVE IT WITH CODE!" - because you can't. If you can figure out how to add the virality, the actual app can be very basic.

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's your first problem, thinking that features is what makes the difference. It's not. It's creating a network effect by somehow making sure lots of users have the app installed, and actually use it.

Network effect

That said, I'm not aiming at raining on anybodys parade. :) Give it a shot, but don't fall in the standard developer trap of thinking "this is a problem, but I CAN SOLVE IT WITH CODE!" - because you can't. If you can figure out how to add the virality, the actual app can be very basic.
Yup I agree but features what makes the users install any app.

Would you rather install an app that does 1 thing or install an app that does the same 1 thing + 9 other things? ;)

BTW as usual we always sell source codes and not releasing the app in the stores. :)

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yup I agree but features what makes the users install any app.
I disagree. Especially for this type of app, what makes users install it is hearing from several friends that they started using app X, and that's where they chat/video nowadays.

Would you rather install an app that does 1 thing or install an app that does the same 1 thing + 9 other things? ;)
Oh, that's simple: I would pick an app to do one thing and do it well.

BTW as usual we always sell source codes and not releasing the app in the stores. :)
Yeah, I know. Which is why I said that this will probably be great for you. It's less great for the buyers that hope they will be able to use your code to publish the next greatly popular chat/video app.

That said, I'll leave this thread now. Best of luck to all parties. Don't let me be a negative influence, I just wanted to add some nuances regarding the complexity of the whole thing. :)

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Don't let me be a negative influence, I just wanted to add some nuances regarding the complexity of the whole thing. :)
Thank you for sharing your long experience and you are not being nagative, you are being helpful my friend.

And thank you for your wishes and kind words , good luck to you too :)

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's been announced :)
and for 35$ not 40$ :)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Again... the dev team is NOT selling the "next big app to dethrone all others".
Many people manifested the interest in such type of app during the "team viewer alternative" promotion and from that point of view, I think this is a very good idea.
Plus, I think they (the dev team) have really found a niche with their solution.
YOU (meaning "we") propose an app idea and if they like it, they create it. The idea author get the source for free, and they (the dev team) sell the source to whoever interest.
It's up to those who get the source to take the next step, being it just use it for case study or to add different features and ultimately compile/sell a finished app.

I say go for it!

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Again... the dev team is NOT selling the "next big app to dethrone all others".
Many people manifested the interest in such type of app during the "team viewer alternative" promotion and from that point of view, I think this is a very good idea.
Plus, I think they (the dev team) have really found a niche with their solution.
YOU (meaning "we") propose an app idea and if they like it, they create it. The idea author get the source for free, and they (the dev team) sell the source to whoever interest.
It's up to those who get the source to take the next step, being it just use it for case study or to add different features and ultimately compile/sell a finished app.

I say go for it!
Thank you very very much for your beautiful and kind words ! :)

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Would this be more of an alternative to Zoom, Teams etc as well, or is it going to be more of a voice chat with basic video ?

Also, would all the data between person to person stream via the B4J app (on the server) or is it P2P ?

sfsameer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Would this be more of an alternative to Zoom, Teams etc as well, or is it going to be more of a voice chat with basic video ?

Also, would all the data between person to person stream via the B4J app (on the server) or is it P2P ?
More than just a basic video chat ;)

More information :