Android Question Implications new Google Playstore functions for B4a?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Syd Wright, May 10, 2018.

1. Syd Wright

Syd Wright Active Member Licensed User

Today I read a message in my Playstore Developer pages about new functions that Google is offering (soon). Especially the information about their "Android App Bundle" is interesting:
    https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2018/05/io-2018-everything-new-in-google-play.html

Two observations:

1. Google states that they intend to take care of managing the APK files. They state: "The app bundle includes all your app's compiled code and resources, but defers APK generation and signing to Google Play. You no longer have to build, sign, and manage multiple APKs"
    I cannot judge what the implications are for B4A developers and am interested to learn more about this:
    - Won't we be able to upload APK's generated by B4A anymore?
    - Instead, what should we upload instead?

2. Among other, Googles also states that: "Use the new internal test track to push your app to up to 100 internal testers in seconds before you release them to alpha, beta, or production".

I would think that some kind of feedback procedure (e.g. in a Forum thread) could be benefical to all B4A developers whereby their "internal test track results" are somehow collectively shared and also used by AnywhereSoftware to further enhance B4A.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

It is a new feature. It doesn't replace the current method of creating the APK yourself.

3. Syd Wright

Syd Wright Active Member Licensed User

OK. I assume there will be advantages of letting Google create the APK, especially for reasons of uniformity and compatitibility. There are now so many different devices out in the field that it becomes more and more difficult to ensure that an APK runs properly on all of them, despite all the good efforts of developers like Anywhere Software.
    In short, there is a reason for Google to introduce this method. Maybe B4a should provide for this option in the future (?)
    Any comments on my suggestion number 2?

4. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Of course.
    Note that this feature is not really related to better supporting multiple devices but rather to reducing the size of the APK by removing irrelevant resources.

I don't have too much to say about it. Based on the short description in that blog it allows developers to easily share their beta apps with testers.
    This can be a good tool for developers. Anywhere Software will never receive automatic reports from developers apps.

Syd Wright likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice