Beta Intellisense Auto Complete Cancels With Spacebar Press

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
The intellisense is working fine for me but I've noticed that if you press space once the variable/object is highlighted it actually cancels the insertion, instead I have to press enter or a comma or equals sign etc.

i.e. I have a variable called "intMyVariable" if I start to type "intM" and press spacebar I will end up with just "intM" even though the variable was highlighted in intellisense menu. If I type "intM" and press "=" or a similar key then it will insert "intMyVariable=" as you would expect.
It just seems like the spacebar is acting like pressing escape when it should actually insert the highlighted variable.

I don't think that this has been reported previously.

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is probably default behavior so that you can type a new variation of a variable name without the IDE overwriting your new variable with an existing one.

--- Jem

Upvote 0

qsrtech

Licensed User
Longtime User
The intellisense is working fine for me but I've noticed that if you press space once the variable/object is highlighted it actually cancels the insertion, instead I have to press enter or a comma or equals sign etc.

i.e. I have a variable called "intMyVariable" if I start to type "intM" and press spacebar I will end up with just "intM" even though the variable was highlighted in intellisense menu. If I type "intM" and press "=" or a similar key then it will insert "intMyVariable=" as you would expect.
It just seems like the spacebar is acting like pressing escape when it should actually insert the highlighted variable.

I don't think that this has been reported previously.
I see but it's intermittent and seems to depend on the type of object. Definitely not good IMHO.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is by design. There are two modes to the auto completion feature: explicit and implicit.

If you explicitly started the autocomplete with Ctrl + Space then it will complete with space. If the auto complete was started automatically (implicit mode) then it will not complete with space. This is important to allow you to write your code freely without "fighting" with the auto completion feature.

Note that in Visual Studio it does auto completes with space in both cases and indeed you find yourself pressing escape all the time or go back and delete the automatic text.

Upvote 0

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the clarification, I'll try and remember to use the Ctrl + Space when wanting already defined variables.

Upvote 0