Android Question Is C:\android\sdk\ transferable by copying?

SeaBee

Licensed User
My main machine, a pretty decent (Win 10) laptop, has a habit of running hot. As a result, I run a small utility that shows current CPU usage and temperature. On Monday, I noticed that all four cores were at 100% usage, and the temperature was rising rapidly. I opened Task Manager to kill whatever was doing this, but it showed just 25-30% usage, so I think it must have been a Win 10 upgrade cracking away like crazy and not showing up on the task list. I just had Outlook and B4A open at the time. Before I could investigate further the processor shut down, with the usage app locked with all four cores between 89 and 92 degrees and 100%

I did a hard power-down, waited for a couple of minutes, and rebooted, to discover lots of stuff broken. B4A Object Browser refuses to load, despite several re-installs, B4A starts giving error messages like Maven artifact missing, Edge loads and then quits after a few seconds, the Task Bar disappears at random, requiring a logoff/logon and disappears and several other major frustrations.

A System Restore failed every time, and the new Win 10 facility of reinstalling keeping all programs and settings gave me a list of programs that would need to be reinstalled, which seemed to be everything except Notepad!

So...back to the last system image of the C:\ drive - all data is kept on the D:\ drive and backed up separately. The only thing that has changed substantially on the C:\ drive is that I did a major update and expansion of the Android SDK, which took over eight hours.

So my question is, can I just copy the new SDK folder over the old, and expect it to work? I am currently copying the whole C:\android\ over to the D:\ drive - all 28.2 GB and 70,100 files of it - and hope to just copy it back after the restore. The reason for asking is that if it is a flat 'no' then I won't attempt it and bite the bullet, but what I don't want to do is try it, and end up having to re-install the whole thing, which will have a dramatic effect on a couple of current (non B4A) projects.

Thanks,

Chris C-B

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think it would work as all searches are based on the relative path of the main folder.

If you only use real devices or a non-avd emu then you can remove the system images aswell, that's 500+Mb per api.

Upvote 0

SeaBee

Licensed User
Thanks for that. I think that what I shall do after the restore, is rename the old android folder to android_old, and then put my recently backed up one back onto C:\. If this works, great, if not just delete it, and rename the old folder back to android.

Watch this space! :D

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it will work as I did it before to have the same sdk on both machines. after the copy you can run that sdk manager tool again to update it.

Upvote 0

SeaBee

Licensed User
Again, thanks. I will know for sure soon, as I am currently copying the android folder back to the C:\ drive.

The system restore took seven hours - lots of software and VMs, but it was but a pain to start. There are a maximum of eight boot devices allowed in the BIOS, and seven are already taken, with no delete possible, and no manual ability to exclude one, so first I plug in the Unix boot USB stick to check for a successful boot. All is well, so I plug in the earlier cloned drive, and reboot, so Unix can identify it. Unfortunately this kicked the USB stick in the excluded devices, and the system booted from the external cloned drive.:mad:

In the end I managed to beat the system by waiting for the first Unix boot message, and quickly plugging in the external drive.

Needless to say, as soon as the new (old) system was back, the very first thing I did was to disable the Windows Update service - with the WiFi off, and the Ethernet cable disconnected. :D

Upvote 0

SeaBee

Licensed User
I can confirm that it can just be copied across with no problems. Works just fine, and when I went to do an update using the SDK Manager, the 'Install packages' and 'Delete packages' were both greyed out. Result!

Upvote 0

dws

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello there. This is my first question. C:\Android has 121 GB size what folders can delete from him. \Platforms, \add-ons etc . Thanks

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello there. This is my first question
You should never post to existing threads.

Please create a new thread for your question.

You can find the installation instructions here
Download the two files and follow the instructions. You then have everything you need.

Your sdk folder then is much less in size.

I don´t know what you can delete. I suggest to just install a new SDK. This is much easier

Upvote 0