Is google deleting our data on April 1st?

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do not worry. Google IS offering you to download ALL your g+ data. It is sending mails for it, if you have data in g+. I downloaded the zip file, though I do not remember using g+ !

2019-03-20_181202.png

Regards,

Anand

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
a few days ago it was on the radio that Microsoft lost a big amount of data of their MySpace servers due to an upgrade or storage move that went wrong.

I think they did it on purpose as nobody connects to it anyway :)

I thought MySpace was already burried years ago.

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think they did it on purpose as nobody connects to it anyway :)
I thought MySpace was already burried years ago.
I've heard that it relegated itself to musicians and artists.
"Myspace is a place where people come to connect, discover, and share," reads a description on the site’s press page. "Showcasing artists and their work, the site gives people access to 53 million tracks and videos-the world's largest digital music library."
Link: https://www.metro.us/lifestyle/what-happened-to-myspace
Therefore this title: Musicians Freak Out as They Belatedly Learn Myspace Lost 50 Million Songs
In that perspective, the data loss was inexcusable. It also shows you that even big companies screw up their backup plans.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
indeed inexcusable but where will you go with your complaints? they will just tell you that you should've kept your offline copy aswell.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am just wondering ..Google got out of China because Chinese gov asked them for access to their China customers.. They refused and moved to Hong Kong. But now U.S. gov asked them for the same (in fact more) and they will comply. Chinese didn't sske them for data stored outside China but trump admin did

ocalle

Licensed User
Longtime User
My thought is that Google is one of the largest information infrastructure platforms, that would be a Pro, and a serious cons that is very volatile, tomorrow they make the decision to close some service and do not care about anything at all.
On the other hand the Amazon platform is managed (without detracting from others) by farmers who have no idea how to offer a clear service simple and without hidden values.
my feeling is that it is always good to have a farm of your own in the other hand
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
they already stepped on a lot of webdev's toes by suddenly making google maps implementations payable and placing a "for development purpose only" overlay over the maps.

it seems that their strategy is to let everyone use their free stuff and after a while put a price on it.

it's a good thing that the EU fined them another billion for cheating with payed advertising where they always put their own stuff at the top of the result list.