Android Question Is it possible that "aapt.exe" does not exist after install? (Win7 / 64bit)

starman

Licensed User
Longtime User
New user here trying to get up and running...

I just installed 2.71 according to the directions given here (local compilation) and am trying to do the "Hello World" program on a virtual device that seems to be working OK.

I downloaded and installed 3 items from the Android SDK (Platform Tools, API-8 platform, USB driver) and got the "cannot find ......aapt.exe" error message when trying to run the app.

I've configured the paths (avoiding "spaces") to find javac.exe and android.jar files but I cannot seem to find aapt.exe, even by searching for it within the entire Android install folder structure.

Other threads seem to mention having to move folders in order to put files into expected places but my problem seems to be more basic than that.

Any help in solving this will be greatly appreciated - l'm looking forward to getting on board with some programming...

Thanks!

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
I read its been moved. What surprises me is you can't find it at all.
Have you downloaded any of the platform SDK's?
Also - search these forums for 'missing aapt.exe'

Upvote 0

starman

Licensed User
Longtime User
I read its been moved. What surprises me is you can't find it at all.
Have you downloaded any of the platform SDK's?
Also - search these forums for 'missing aapt.exe'
Thanks for weighing in...

I should add that I'm installing to Win7 / 64 bit as that may make a difference.

I've searched the forums and haven't found anything that helps and I have downloaded the API-8 platform.

Having said all that....

I've just installed to a "Vista" machine and it works "as advertised." This has got me thinking it may be a Win7/64 bit issue. Anybody else??

Thanks...

Upvote 0

starman

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that it is related to Windows 7 or to 64 bit architecture. This is a pretty common configuration.

Make sure to install at least one platform.
I've installed API-8 ( think that's what you are talking about!)...

One thing I've noticed is that I do not have an "android-sdk-windows" folder (only "android-sdk"). That missing folder is where I'd expect to find aapt.exe and other necessary files/structure.

Upvote 0

MaFu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have the SDK installed completely (all API levels). I found aapt.exe in the following paths:

...\android-sdk\build-tools\17.0.0\aapt.exe
...\android-sdk\build-tools\18.0.1\aapt.exe
...\android-sdk\build-tools\18.1.0\aapt.exe
...\android-sdk\platforms\android-3\tools\aapt.exe
...\android-sdk\platforms\android-4\tools\aapt.exe

Upvote 0

starman

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have the SDK installed completely (all API levels). I found aapt.exe in the following paths:

...\android-sdk\build-tools\17.0.0\aapt.exe
...\android-sdk\build-tools\18.0.1\aapt.exe
...\android-sdk\build-tools\18.1.0\aapt.exe
...\android-sdk\platforms\android-3\tools\aapt.exe
...\android-sdk\platforms\android-4\tools\aapt.exe
Interesting...are you also saying that you "don't" have an "android-sdk-windows" folder. In other words, all of your relevant content is in the folders you list above??

Thanks for taking the time to join this thread - I appreciate it!

Upvote 0

MaFu

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is the complete folder list under my "android-sdk" installation:
..\android-sdk\add-ons
..\android-sdk\build-tools
..\android-sdk\docs
..\android-sdk\extras
..\android-sdk\platform-tools
..\android-sdk\platforms
..\android-sdk\samples
..\android-sdk\sources
..\android-sdk\system-images
..\android-sdk\temp
..\android-sdk\tools

Yes, i doesn't have a "android-sdk-windows" folder and have never seen a folder with this name. This folder should only exist if you change the default name during setup.

Have you also installed the "SDK Build-tools"?

@Erel
You should change the example path in the "Paths configuration" dialog. On sdk setup the default path is "C:\..\Android\android-sdk", therefore normally no "android-sdk-windows" folder exist.

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In older Android installations there was an "android-sdk-windows" folder.
Example:
C:\Android\android-sdk-windows\platforms-tools\aapt.exe.

It has disappeared in newer installations.
Example:
C:\Android\platforms-tools\aapt.exe.

Best regards.

Upvote 0