B4R Question Is it safe? (and more) - Some advice please.

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey everybody,

I bought this battery:

to power this arduino:

Do some of you more experienced creators think that I will need to take care of something more in order for this operation mode to be safe?

As it is stated in the arduino page the Input Voltage (recommended) is 7V ~ 12V so I suppose I am covered with no problem. Is this correct?
Do I need to take care of anything more? I am thinking of controlling this vibration motor module:

Two things bother me:

1) Compatibility (it refers to UNO R3 and Mega2560).
2) And current that draws since it will be operated with battery. I could use a logic level mosfet to power it only when I need it. Is this approach correct?

janderkan

Licensed User
Longtime User
You must connect the snap connector (9V) to pin29 (Ground) and pin30 (+7-12V)
The vibrator specs:
  • Rated current: up to 60 mA
  • Start current: up to 90 mA
but you can only draw max 40mA directly on an output pin, so you need a transistor or mosfet.
It is the same processor as an Arduino Uno, the Mega2560 uses an Atmel2560.
You can use a switch to connect the battery or you can use deep sleep and wake the module to use it.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good morning @janderkan. So it is obvious that since it requires more current than an Arduino Pin can provide it should be powered directly from the battery and control the flow of current to the vibration motor with a mosfet. I suppose also a voltage regulator is also needed which can regulate the voltage to five volt and withstand the highest requirement of the motor in milliamperes. There has been a misunderstanding though. I am planning to use the Arduino Nano and not Mega 2560 or Uno R3. A closer look to the compatibility issue I suppose was referring to the logic level. Isn't it so?

Taking under notice all these I suppose the final product should look like this with the 3 unconnected Pins being directed to the Motor Module. Is this correct as a diagram according to the pinout that follows?

1609148809305.png

1609145280173.png

Upvote 0

janderkan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Both the Nano and the Uno uses the same processor, so they are the same.
You can use pin 27 to supply 5V max 500mA

arduino-nano-pinout.png

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you @janderkan. You are great help to me and I highly appreciate it. Just to make sure... According to what you are saying no voltage regulator is needed. Is this correct?

Edit: What is this 200mA max for the entire package mean - as seen in the pinout?

Upvote 0

janderkan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Each pin of the processor : max 40mA
All pins of processor: max 200mA
The 5V voltage regulator on the board can supply max 800 mA
Pin 27 can supply 800mA - 200mA - this and that = 500mA

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User