ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
google will buy Oracle and make Java free for everyone else millions of apps will be removed from the store and that will make android useless.

Oh.. That's sad. So we must sell our Android smartphones ASAP.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
For now Java 8 is the main target version. I believe that the next major version will be Java 11.

I was reading this article, and found this very disconcerting piece of information:

As you can see in the image below, it seems that Java 10 will be the last free Oracle JDK. As Nicolai points out, users will either have to pay to use future JDK versions, or rely on OpenJDK

What's going to happen to B4J and B4A?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
A few points based on my understanding:

- Java will remain free. Updates for older versions will only be available for free for a limited time.
- There is an open source implementation of Java developed by Oracle: OpenJDK and OpenJFX.
- Java is a stable platform. Most of the security issues discovered in the recent years were related to applets and other more esoteric usages of Java. This means that you don't need to immediately update Java.
In fact Oracle recommends to distribute apps with an embedded Java runtime, which never gets updated automatically.
- Not everything is still clear.

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In fact Oracle recommends to distribute apps with an embedded Java runtime, which never gets updated automatically.
Just in case people wonder where this came from: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
Instead of relying on a pre-installed standalone JRE, we encourage application developers to deliver JREs with their applications.
So an updated JRE would come with an updated application, meaning it is the responsibility of the application developer to keep the JRE updated. Of course if this
Java is a stable platform. Most of the security issues discovered in the recent years were related to applets and other more esoteric usages of Java. This means that you don't need to immediately update Java.
holds true, this may be a non-issue.