Android Question JRDC Connection error on WiFi with captive portal

kgf

Licensed User
Hi.

I have a JRDC server running on a laptop that connects phones with a laptop database. Normally this works fine when all devices are on the same private wifi network. But I am on a wifi network with a captive portal login and the phones cant connect to the laptop through jrdc. Server is running fine locally on http://127.0.0.1:17178/test but the phones cant seem to see the local server.
Has anyone had this problem or any ideas if it JRDC can be can be run through a captive portal
Thanks

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
127.0.0.1 is a loop back for localhost (on the Laptop).
You can not connect to 127.0.0.1 from any other address other than the laptop.
Try to connect to the ip of the laptop in the local wifinetwork.

Upvote 1

kgf

Licensed User
I am testing on the laptop with 127.0.0.1 to make sure the jrdc server is running and then using the laptops ip address on the device to try and connect through wifi. On most home routers the laptop ip is assigned to 92.168. etc which works fine, but on a different wifi with a captive portal login the ip address is assigned to 80.etc and the device cant seem to connect to it.

Upvote 0

kgf

Licensed User
I have had this problem before, both have been Cisco routers with a captive portal login. Must be something to do with the config or redirect to check the credentials?

Current workaround is to connect the device to the laptop hotspot and then the device can find the jrdc server.

Upvote 0

joko0124

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm ok with the connection even we are using captive portal. I guess you must use your laptop's IPv4 address and your Database credentials. :)

Upvote 0