just for discussion: Why B4X is not famous enough

Hanz

I think, the 'main developer' Erel has already put all sources of B4X in git as open source.
Only ide, which is in .Net is not open source, but you can get all libraries, including core, in git.
That's exactly what I'm referring. Open sourcing the libraries without the compiler made open source is tantamount to not open source at all. Without the IDE is fine, but without the compiler is not. IDE and compiler are two separate things. This is what happened to jabaco. the developer open source the IDE but not the compiler. Then, the developer left without a word living everybody hanging just like what microsoft did to vb6 developers.

AlexOfOz

Licensed User
I love BASIC and I love B4X/J/A etc. I almost cried with joy when I stumbled on B4A a couple of years ago, from doing many, many google searches. Suddenly there it was. The reason I was looking was because I was so terribly disappointed with the others that I had tried, being VB and the google one (I've forgotten it's name).

My history with BASIC goes right back to the Commodore 64. I taught myself to program with BASIC and simply fell in love with it. I am only a hobbyist, but I love writing small programs. I've done a number for the phone and am now trying to get my head around writing stuff for the laptop. BTW I've finished the SUDOKU and am quite proud of it.

I have promoted B4X/J/A whenever I get the opportunity, and people are always surprised. They often say "Oh you mean Visual Basic", and I tell them about B4*. They are speechless because they can't wrap their head around the idea that somebody could be writing this stuff in BASIC in 2021. I tell them how easy it is and how enjoyable, but by then I think they've concluded I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm making it up.

Being no more than a passionate hobbyist, who works with mainframes for his living, I have been thinking that in the future I'll put together some HOW TOs for newbies, both new to the B4 suite or new to programming in general. There have been things I have found where the answer doesn't exist OR it is very hard to find. You've all seen me ask silly questions and have no doubt scratched your head about the silliness of my question. But it's because I'm definitely not the only one who has these silly questions that I hope to do my bit by helping novices and newbies to more readily experience the joy that is having something happen on the screen as a result of their thoughts, efforts and imagination.

As for how to promote B4 to the wider world - no idea. Try explaining to an English speaker that Arabic is actually quite an easy language to learn and they'll think you're having a laugh. What we need is a way of showing that it is, and by extension that BASIC and the B4 world are a great way to make your phone or laptop or tablet or Mac sing.

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Basic Language is suffering from a real contestation ! Many new developers are taught that Basic is old and inefficient. If @Erel could consider also of a more modern syntax like C#, Python etc to be more attractive.
Instead what I appreciate of B4X (and the Basic launguage in general) is the sintax that is easy and logical.
But of course it's even because I was always used to Basic.
And the result does not suffer from the old Basic Interpreter because we obtain a fully Java APK.
It's just a matter of willing to change the old concepts.
If I would have the will and the time to learn a different language I would choose directly Java (or Kotlin) and Android Studio just to have everything up to date instantly.
That's the only advantage of AS now.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I ve told thousand times here in forum and general... that B4X not only replaced VB6 (basic programming from old spectrum) for me... but actually give me new ways to Android, to Linux, to Web (PWA)...

This is not a Programming Language only - I think it's more way of living... in tech things... why that ? Because there is no day without new knowledge, new tips, new tutorials, ways to do more... and I don't know How but Erel "thought and created" this B4X "idea" that is so supported from this community like not other...

The secret is to share "knowledge" and b4x doing that... very well... the members of b4x doing too... Impossible is Possible here !

And I see that here, Karma is working, when you help others, getting help too... and fast !

Hope, to keep going like that ! Every day is a new day...

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
(sorry) For the subject... I think that B4X is famous for those who knows... what actually they need !

If was a "Microsoft", or "Apple" or "Oracle" behind ---> will be more known but will never had so many users... because of cost, of secrets (libraries will cost extra), no sharing tips...

but now... the B4X has the power, has movement, has the people to spread the word... as years passed ----> new users coming and coming, as I know never stop using it...

j_o_h_n

Licensed User
Do the younger crowd have any prejudices for or against Basic. I suspect it's mainly prevalent in people who were programming already in the mid 90s, so middle aged and older.

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Do the younger crowd have any prejudices for or against Basic. I suspect it's mainly prevalent in people who were programming already in the mid 90s, so middle aged and older.
I think it's the other way around, there is more prejudice among younger people.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As I often repeat: B stands for Best not for Basic.
So B4X = Best for anything
:)

chikega

Licensed User
I'm thinking about this a lot. How to make B4X more popular? What are the barriers who prevent B4X from growing?
Making B4A free removes one barrier and I'm sure that in the long run it will have a positive effect. Making the core libraries open source will also help.

About BASIC. There isn't too much to say here. The programming language is B4X. For better or for worse its syntax is close to BASIC and it will not be changed.

The real challenge is how to increase the exposure of new developers to B4X. I need your help here. If you like B4X encourage other developers to give it a try.
There is a large and active community here and this community is the key for further growth.
Recently I was perusing the website Slant.co and B4X was flagged as not being appropriate by a reviewer in this listing: What are the best BASIC-like programming languages? Because B4X was flagged by a reviewer, B4X did not show up in the ranking and could only be viewed under flagged products at the bottom of the page. I disputed the flagging of B4X and B4X is now at the top of the ranking in this list. But any reviewer can flag a product at any time as being inappropriate. So, the point is that we should be diligent that B4X maintains its ranking in these sort of listings.

Cheers,

Gary

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
perusing the website Slant.co
I just read that site and the B4X entry. There is a Top Con entry there that just seems to totally incorrect and/or misleading - I'm not going to sign up just to contest it but maybe someone else is registered there and could do that.

DALB

Licensed User
some poeple think that treating hard code means to be a good coder. Nothing is true here.
When the first Sirius comuter where sold around the 80's, i have read the line of code of program written in BASIC.

I was surprised by the level of ingeniosity to compact some sub in a few lines so that i could use 3 or 4 times lines to do the same thing.
I think that discussing about a software can be useful for the How it interacts with the devices.

But the heart is rather in the coding experience than in the type of code !
With B4A, I play as if I play a game on a console, because many possibilities are offered to go to my targets!
I think that in 35 years, there will be only one code system...the B4A, I have read this with the tarot cards ! Sure !

B4A means = Best For Anyone !