Android Question Keyboard no password suggested and all characters accepted

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I want to disable auto suggest for password fields but accept all characters. How do I set that with a custom filter. This does not seem to work:

IME.SetCustomFilter(EditText4, Bit.OR(EditText4.INPUT_TYPE_TEXT, 0x00080000),Null)

Not sure how to set accept all characters.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I want to disable auto suggest for password fields but accept all characters. How do I set that with a custom filter. This does not seem to work:

IME.SetCustomFilter(EditText4, Bit.OR(EditText4.INPUT_TYPE_TEXT, 0x00080000),Null)

Not sure how to set accept all characters.
I suggest to use Masked EditText as it fixes an issue with Samsung devices concerning suggestions. To disable the suggestions with MET, you have to set the WithSuggestions property to False (it's the default setting when PasswordMode = True). And if you don't restrict the character set (InputType = TEXT), then all characters are accepted.

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tested the masked edit but did not give me the results I wanted, no time to test a new solution or library right now.

Anyone else?

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, exactly as I explained. I want to set a custom filter with the keyboard library (with the flag) but also accept all characters. Could not find how to allow all characters in the sample I provided. In provided sample I can only set a limit on characters.

Not saying your masked edit isn't working btw, it isn't what i'm looking for right now.

The keyboard option means I don't need to do anything on the UI or implement custom views.

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, exactly as I explained. I want to set a custom filter with the keyboard library (with the flag) but also accept all characters. Could not find how to allow all characters in the sample I provided. In provided sample I can only set a limit on characters.

Not saying your masked edit isn't working btw, it isn't what i'm looking for right now.

I'm sorry but it's not clear at all. You want to set a filter and, at the same time, accept all characters. A filter is meant to restrict the input characters, so I hope for you that someone will understand your request because I'm not able to. And concerning MET, did you try the Filter event?

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Basically I don't want to set a filter but just the "no suggestion" flag. However, the sample does both and I don't know how to just set the no_suggestion flag. I want to keep the password field as password.

Clear?

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Basically I don't want to set a filter but just the "no suggestion" flag. However, the sample does both and I don't know how to just set the no_suggestion flag. I want to keep the password field as password.

Clear?
What's your device brand and model? Having no suggestions for password is the expected and normal behavior when you set PasswordMode to true with MET. Samsung devices have a known bug with suggestions and password but I implemented a workaround in MET (and it works fine AFAIK).
You didn't miss a magical setting for EditText; there's not. MET does everything what EditText is able to do and fixes some issues with InputType, suggestions and passwords.
Provide a sample and details on your device; that will give me a chance to find a solution.

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

it doesn't seem to be a bug with Samsung, this is on a Nexus 5.

I just want to force it by using the custom filter, that's it. Again, currently I cannot look into other solutions unfortunately.

I think the password no suggestion works but I want it without accepted characters, have no clue how to set that one only.

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Mmm, I just say I want to have no suggestion in the password box. It should work by default but it does not on several devices. That's why I want to use the custom filter to just do that, set suggestion off for password field.

That should be possible by using the flag 0x00080000 but I don't know how to do that and still allowing all characters.

So characters should not be limited but the password should not be visible in my suggestions.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Mmm, I just say I want to have no suggestion in the password box. It should work by default but it does not on several devices. That's why I want to use the custom filter to just do that, set suggestion off for password field.

That should be possible by using the flag 0x00080000 but I don't know how to do that and still allowing all characters.

So characters should not be limited but the password should not be visible in my suggestions.

Cheers.
I see where's the confusion. Filter and suggestions are not related at all. The flag that you mention (TYPE_TEXT_FLAG_NO_SUGGESTIONS) is a value for the InputType parameter. When you set Suggestions to false in MET, the java code adds this flag for you. Doing this yourself will bring nothing different.
It would be interesting to have a sample to reproduce the problem and a list of devices not working as expected, with their OS version.

Upvote 0