Legal Structures ??

adbftrainer

Licensed User
I really like this program, I also appreciate this form. It amazes how helpful humans can really be.

To my question,

Is this legal

Dim Type(scname,sbreed,ssex,sdob)tycanine
Dim Type(sphone,sfirst,slast,inumdogs,tycanine)tyclient(500)
tyclient(1).tycanine.scname = txtbox1.text 'get error here

to get around the error

Dim Type(sphone,sfirst,slast,inumdogs,scname,sbreed,ssex,sdob)tyclient(500)

This is manageable solution for a client with one dog, many of my clients have 2 maybe 3 dogs. Which would look like

Dim Type(sphone,sfirst,slast,inumdogs,scname1,sbreed1,ssex1,sdob1,scname2,sbreed2.....
)tyclient(500)
is my solution my only alternative?
Thanks

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not completly sure what you are trying to do, sounds like an application
for a dog walker / Vet or something?

but would a sqlite DB be an option?
For each person you would add the dogs they have (incl the info)
and then you could run a query to get the total of dogs per person

You could also make another table with the appointment data which you can "link" together

Let me know if you need help with sql

adbftrainer

Licensed User
Plans for my Program

Hi

i am writing a program that will track the varying about of information i deal with through out the day. This info must be input on the fly, i am not able to sit at a desk.

I own operate a Canine Training Facility w/ 13 Run Boarding Kennel and we breed German Shepherds & Dobermans.

my Training Programs are broken down in Class'
Obedience Class Private or Group
Agility Class Private or Group
Protection Class
Tracking Class

Boarding In Out .........

Canine Sales breed age name temperament, training .....

Clients phone name.....

Potential clients for boarding training canine sale canine

there is so much data, all this data will eventually lead to the canines that are my real clients, I can track their progress during class and competitions.

The way i build my structures (improper structures) made everything so
simple to me.

I am beginning with the boarding component.
Sorry, did not mean to be long winded. Two things i can talk about for hours are dogs and programing.
thank you
sue

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
I am beginning with the boarding component.
Sorry, did not mean to be long winded. Two things i can talk about for hours are dogs and programing.
thank you
sue

:) its nice to hear the stories people have.
back to the topic..
since you have a lot of data which can be re-used
(from potential clients to real clients)
I would use SQL* this way you would have a table for each class
and you can reuse the data...

adbftrainer

Licensed User
Sql ???

Hi

Your suggestion sounds good. One little problem is i have never used SQL, i am not sure what it is, if you could point me in the right direction. [i will look in my books to see what i can find, (i dont want you to think i am one of those people that sit back and let everyone else do the work] I really appreciate your guidance, if you ever need help w/ a dog problem I am your girl. :)

thank you
sue & dogs

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
there is also a lot of information on the net,
I started with MySQL and i found that SQLite is basically the same.

let me know if you need help, I'll be happy to
(just send me a PM)

-=edit=-

SQL is a collection of tables all packed into one file, in the attachment I created 4 tables
they are separate tables but they can be linked together, in my example I've used the Owner name as the common denominator in the Dog table

If you look at the Sales table you see the ID, I just used the ID from the Dog table, that way i have all the information available in the table
so the Dog name in the Sales table can be populated also (same goes for the breed & age)
for training you could give an average grade fror all classes followed.

Also you don't need to put everything in one table you can leave everything in their own tables,
The application would select and calculate what needs to be shown.

If I has to make such an application I would have it create all the enrties once I add a new dog,
So looking at the image, I would have the application fill out "Dog" table, using my entered data,
When I get to the owner I could enter the information (populating the "Owner" table) Or selecting an owner
because this person is already in there there is no need for me to enter it again.

I hope this helps.

Also, for me the quickest way to make a sqlite DB is to use "SQLite Manager" Its a FireFox extention and allows you
to create add change etc, should also help you in understanding how SQL works
it can be found here : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5817

When you are up to it you can use this too to create the DB the way you want it once that is complete it
you can use you app to read/edit the data.

Good luck

Last edited:

adbftrainer

Licensed User
Creating a Table

Thank you, your example is exactly what i needed to see. This truly makes things much easier. After your suggestion re: SQL the first thing i did was look at the help section, the second thing was to look at the download manual. Both resources were helpful.

I did understand almost everything re: tables. I am real excited to start, however i have one tiny little problem, I can not figure out how to create the table, i know how to add col, rows, etc. I thought i remembered seeing a example on creating the table but i can not find it.

I am sure i am missing something, just cant find what i am missing.
After this i wont be asking so many questions.

Thank you very very much for your assistance.
sue

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
creating tables using B4PPC, thats something i haven't done before
I'm using Firefox with the addon mention in my previous post.

with this tool you can create a new DB create tables etc

if you are not willing to us the tool you might be able to use Erel's SQLite viewer.

Also check google for MySQL commands,

Working with commands the create table command would be:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS test (column-def [, column-def]* [, constraint]*)
where column-def is the colum name, also end with a )