LG G Stylo, very good : )

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yesterday I bought LG G Stylo from T-Mobile and from the first glance I fell in love with it.. not because I have to only pay $7 / month for 2 years, but the phablet is full of features (for my aspirations).

* 16 GB (upgradable)
*Lollipop
* 5.7"
* Stylus pen
* 13 MP rear camera
* 5 MP front camera
* You don't need timer for selfie.. just take position, wave hand to the camera and it will give you 3 seconds (gesture detector)
* front camera can take photos from longer range with 5MP resolution.
* Metal case
* All three hardware buttons in the rear so no side ugly buttons.
* Laser detection autofocus (detects the distance between rear camera and nearby object) using laser

and much more.

* At $280 I think it is a very good deal.

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great! I personally think LG phones are better than Samsung and HTC. Of course, I used SS, HTC before but LG's P/P really good.

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
I like the idea of buttons on the back (like the LG G3).

I wonder if the LG stylus uses the same API as the Samsung Note pens? e.g. for hover hints and so on.

My sketching app (Quick Proto) supports the "air hover" hints for Samsung, but would be interested to see if the LG does too.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
unfortunately it doesn't support varying touch pressure like Note

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you get a chance to try Quick Proto (it's free on the Google Play store), I'm curious to find out if the stylus shows hover tips and custom pointers for the various tools.

The AirView library I'm using (by @barx) might work with more than just Samsung devices, but we haven't had a chance to find out yet.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you get a chance to try Quick Proto (it's free on the Google Play store), I'm curious to find out if the stylus shows hover tips and custom pointers for the various tools.

The AirView library I'm using (by @barx) might work with more than just Samsung devices, but we haven't had a chance to find out yet.

I'm betting it won't. From the pictures the stylo is nothing but a narrow point capacitive pen, there is no way for the screen to 'know' the stylus is hovering it.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Dave
QP is working fine.. I couldn't set the line color though.. Only the yellow for hilight.
Screenshot_2015-05-24-15-58-07.png

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @Beja ,

Do you get hover hints when hovering your stylus over each toolbar button? Or a custom pointer when you use the yellow highlighter or eraser?

(The current version only has a black pen and yellow highlighter. The new version I'm finishing now has 4 sizes and 8 colors. :)

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Only when you click on the toolbar button that a a label appears with the button function.. eg. clicking on the black pen toggles "Thin Pen" and "Thick Pen" -After clicking, not just hovering on it.. you must click on it.

* at design time, you can draw over the hot spot box, even if you draw a black box still the hot spot appears 50% transparent, but at run time hot spot becomes completely opaque, and you have to remember where was it
* If you draw the hots pot over a perfect black box, then at runtime you can't see the hot spot and you only see the black box.

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
LG Stylus - disappointing that it doesn't do hover events. The Samsung devices have an extra sensor for that, if I recall correctly. Hopefully the LG stylus is more accurate than a finger.

Quick Proto links - They should be about 50% transparent in design mode, and about 80% transparent in play mode (so you can still see them, but not so prominent). Are you saying that the play-mode links are too hard to see on the LG screen? (That's something I can easily adjust.)

Thanks!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
LG Stylus - disappointing that it doesn't do hover events. The Samsung devices have an extra sensor for that, if I recall correctly. Hopefully the LG stylus is more accurate than a finger.

Quick Proto links - They should be about 50% transparent in design mode, and about 80% transparent in play mode (so you can still see them, but not so prominent). Are you saying that the play-mode links are too hard to see on the LG screen? (That's something I can easily adjust.)

Thanks!
As I said, the LG stylus is nothing but a narrower capacitive pen, while the SG Stylus works in cooperation with an extra 'under-the-screen' magnetic sensor layer, which detects the E.M. from the stylus. Then you have the pressure sensing tip of it... All'n'all, a very sophisticated piece of hardware in a very, very small package.