Local-B4iBuild-Server with VMware

D

Deleted member 103

Hi,

I have Mac-OS installed in a VMware to test whether the locale-B4iBuild-server works well.
To my surprise, I can now say that it works very well, the compilation time is acceptable.

If I had known that at the beginning, I would have saved the money for a Mac-Mini.

MAc-Mini_vs_VMware.jpg

MaFu

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can find ready to use VMware images with MacOS for download. But VMware Workstation must be patched to boot the virtual Mac correctly, search for Unlocker 2.08.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The most important question, the computer which version of Windows, processor and Ram has?

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The Windows version shouldn't be important if it is Win7+ and 64bit. Processor must be Intel imho. Ram should be 8 GB as minimum i think, but more is better.
I had I3 with Windows 8.1 and 8Gb of ram and it worked badly. The mouse itself moved with difficulty

PS. Sell your Mac? :p:p

MaFu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I had I3 with Windows 8.1 and 8Gb of ram and it worked badly. The mouse itself moved with difficulty

PS. Sell your Mac? :p:p
I use it with (very) old I7 on Win7/12GB and Win10/24GB. I use only 3GB in the Mac VM and it runs fine without problems, no lags.
Which VMware version did you use? I'm using VMware 12 which has good performance in combination with Mac VM. My previously used VMware 11 runs much slower with Mac VM and VMware 10 before runs terrible.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Now nothing. I bought an SSD and I decided not to put Windows 8.1 64bit but Windows 7 64bit.
To install W7 I had to set up the Motherboard as a BIOS instead of UEFI and then it turned off the 'hardware support for virtualization'.
What is necessary to make WMware (or even DropBox) operate an emulator with MacOS.

I should reformat everything, but I have no intention of doing it, rather I buy the miniMac of @Filippo :p:p

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I do not know if it's big for you, for me already.

I meant code size.

I use remote builder an it usually needs a few seconds after using a clean for my games.
And it's almost instant when the app was already running.

MaFu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Now nothing. I bought an SSD and I decided not to put Windows 8.1 64bit but Windows 7 64bit.
To install W7 I had to set up the Motherboard as a BIOS instead of UEFI and then it turned off the 'hardware support for virtualization'.
What is necessary to make WMware (or even DropBox) operate an emulator with MacOS.

I should reformat everything, but I have no intention of doing it, rather I buy the miniMac of @Filippo :p:p
Active hardware support for virtualization is a must.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Winni

Licensed User
Longtime User
Gents, the EULA of macOS explicitly states that you are only allowed to run macOS on Apple branded hardware. Furthermore, you are only allowed to run virtual instances of macOS - you guessed it - on Apple branded hardware.

If you install VMware ESXi on original Apple hardware, you won't need to patch anything, because VMware knows that it is legal to run virtual instances of macOS on computers with an Apple logo -- the available patches (or should we call them cracks, because that is what they are) disable that hardware check.

You're promoting a legally problematic solution in this thread, to say the least. Especially the part recommending the download of specially prepared macOS images shouldn't be publicly visible on this forum at all.

The recommendation to purchase Snow Leopard won't help anybody, simply because the legal loophole that would allow to use it on non-Apple computers is unique to Germany -- no other country ever had a supreme court ruling against American EULAs (the so-called "Microsoft OEM ruling"), and no other country ever ruled that a EULA can only be valid and legally binding if you are able to read it BEFORE you buy and install the software. If you don't live in Germany, you might still buy a hard copy of Snow Leopard, sure, but Apple's EULA will be binding for you and forbid you to use it on non-Apple hardware - and outside of Germany Apple has every legal option to enforce the EULA and sue you for violating it. So think twice about this if you want to stay fully legal.

Let's openly say something else as well while we're at it: If you're okay with using a pirated or a 'simply' unlicensed copy of macOS (either in a VM or on regular PC hardware) or if you are okay with completely violating its license agreement, then you should also be okay with using a pirated copy of B4X and none of you should have a problem when other people are using pirated copies of the software that YOU have written. But unless you write Open Source software, my guess is that in all likelihood none of you will think that the latter is fine.

I remember very well the time when 18 years ago the software company that I worked for went bankrupt and I lost my job and had to live on my credit card for three months -- and at the same time, I could find our product on the eDonkey network. Maybe I'm a bit biased when I say this, but if you don't want to pay for soft- and hardware, then don't use it.