Android Question Looking for a good Barcode lookup database

Syd Wright

Licensed User
Who knows of a good (preferably free) Barcode database that holds the barcodes of especially supermarket goods (food, drink, house hold articles etc.)? I am making an app for blind users that reads documents and barcodes. I need to convert the barcodes to actual product descriptions.

PS: I am using Johan Schoemann and Don Manfred's excellent Mobile Vision libraries:
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/mobilevisionbarcodescanner.72232/#content

MarkusR

Licensed User
i googled a bit,
  1. i found free incompleate very old databases :(
  2. the most up to date product informations are via paid web api services :(
  3. i not found an actual database download :(
btw this world article database holds millions of recordsets.
i guess supermarkets became data direct from seller via .csv .db or Excel and they import this data into her own database.

Syd Wright

Licensed User
i googled a bit,
  1. i found free incompleate very old databases :(
  2. the most up to date product informations are via paid web api services :(
  3. i not found an actual database download :(
btw this world article database holds millions of recordsets.
i guess supermarkets became data direct from seller via .csv .db or Excel and they import this data into her own database.
Thank you very much. This is also my experience so far. I do already have a database but it is old. FYI: The database does not have to be downloadable. A good online lookup function would be fine. Google can decode some barcodes, but the search results are not consistent and presented in many different ways, so scraping the results is (almost) impossible.