Maintenance

RacingDog

Licensed User
When you guy's have quite finished geeking around with Android, how's about sparing a though for us Windows Mobile users and releasing a maintenance release of the software correcting known bugs. It is somewhat slightly overdue IMHO.

RacingDog

Licensed User
Hmmm. When I suggested a while a go that it looked like us PPC users were about to become second class citizens, the idea was pooh-poohed. So, no comment about when we might expect a maintenance release, despite the fact that the current release is getting to be very long in the tooth.

Hmmm. I was right wasn't I?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Most efforts are now focused on Basic4android.
As Microsoft stopped developing Windows Mobile we were faced with two options. Going out of business or targeting a new platform. We chose to target Android.

Basic4ppc v6.9 is a mature version with a very small number of bugs. I do not know for now when a maintenance version will be released.

RacingDog

Licensed User
Have you not been watching the news? Microsoft is coming back in.

And in any case, the market isn't all idiot kids who keep buying "the latest thing", most people hang on to working devices. If it ain't broke don't fix it is a saying that many people actually understand. That market is not going to vanish overnight. The idea that everyone mindlessly throws phones away "just to be up to date" is nonsense.

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you not been watching the news? Microsoft is coming back in.
Not with Windows Mobile, which regrettably is dead, but with Windows Phone 7 which is a garden walled environment, although it is not quite as bad as the iThingy locked down environment and Microsoft are going to slacken access to it for homebrew developers in the coming months.

However for the time being it is not possible for people to load their own apps on a WP7 debvice without paying an annual fee of $99 to become a developer and then register a specific phone as a development device. This makes producing something like Basic4WP7 a non-starter as a viable product, and it would need a complete rewrite anyway as the UI is based on Silverlight and not Windows Forms and many of the APIs are different.

RacingDog

Licensed User
Ah, I see. How uncivilized!

But there will still be WM owners around by the bucketful. Only the young and idiots change for change's sake. I'm sure I speak for many when I say my phone already does many things more than I ever have any interest in using, upgrading to something newer which does even more things in which I have not the slightest interest would be utterly pointless.

Slightly off track, but I wonder if it ever occurs to the idiots who design phones that some of us have stubby, clumsy, uncoordinated fingers and find the "use your fingers" screens almost impossible to use? It's another reason for not getting a new phone and sticking to WM.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree about fingers, I would much prefer the precision of a stylus and the reason I like Windows Mobile is that it tries to be a baby computer which is just what I want. Unfortunately the rest of the world appears to want to "consume media", an activity so alien in concept that I don't understand it. In this world simplicity rules in a manner that again is far beyond my limited comprehension. I had a play with an iPad and the thing is so simplistically brain-dead and lowest common denominator in operation and so limited in use that I can't imagine why anyone takes it seriously. But I was never one to run with the crowd. :(

However I do have a Motorola Xoom on pre-order :)

Tex8503

Licensed User
Longtime User
My two cents here is that there is a market you're missing: Windows Embedded Handheld.

WinMo didn't die - it just became targeted elsewhere and for non-consumer devices. I'm using B4PPC for business apps and the like and I hope to see a long future for it. Business won't go Android until google gets their enterprise deployment act together.

Maybe just a re-alignement of 'who' B4PPC should be targeted at is needed. The perception that Windows Mobile is going away is only true in that it's been renamed. Microsoft does have a roadmap for it's continued life in the business market.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In my opinion, Microsoft considers Windows Mobile as dead. As far as I know, lately they haven't released anything new for Windows Mobile. The last update of the Compact Net Framework was made many months (years?) ago and I doubt they will update it further. I was looking at the Official Windows Mobile blog some time ago and it hadn't been updated for ages.

Since the Framework is not being updated any longer, I guess there is no point for Erel to update Basic4PPC. I mean, there is nothing new to add support for. Only thing could perhaps be some new features in the IDE but as to the "language" itself, I don't see anything in particular that needs to be dealt with. Basic4PPC is already quite complete and does "its job".

Tex8503

Licensed User
Longtime User
Moster67 - That's just... wrong. First of all, as I've already said, Windows Mobile 6.5 is now Windows Embedded Handheld : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-handheld.aspx

Win CE is now Windows Embedded Compact.

Both are getting updates - Windows Mobile 6.5 ended up being rebranded as the first version of Windows Embedded handheld.

There are revisions coming - Windows Product Lifecycle | Windows Embedded Roadmap

Windows Embedded Handheld 7 was apparently delayed to further out this year it seems... but this market is going to need support and Windows Phone 7 won't be the answer. Neither will Android.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Tex8503

then I stand corrected. However, I couldn't find anything related to the Windows Embedded Handheld framework to download. Where can I download information to get me started? It seems there are no updates as of yet (it said 2nd half of 2010). :confused:

I hope you are right but to me it still looks dead.

Last edited:

FrankR

Licensed User
Longtime User
I work in the mobile industry - providing custom mobile solutions to other companies.

Here's what we're getting both from the press and our customers:

- Windows Mobile and Windows CE are dead. It will be around for years because of legacy devices, but very, very few people will seek to purchase new Windows Mobile devices.

- People are very interested in iOS, at the same time they are very aware of how Closed it is compared to other offerings.

- When talking of investment in new devices, customers are usually - talking about Android.

Erel's company has limited resources. I think he is applying the resources perfectly.

Tex8503

Licensed User
Longtime User
My company works with alot of the big industrial mobile computer companys (motorola, intermec, honeywell) and we're hearing that Windows Embedded Handheld should be around for a while - but CE should be getting an update first.

The customers we deal with are looking for rugged devices, of which there are no iOS capable devices and few android ones. There will be more Android devices as time goes on - but without Google really supporting enterprise deployment, their legs in the corporate space will be limited.

I think our current situation is a case of microsoft just being dead ass slow.

lqg2118

Licensed User
Longtime User
at least you should fix the bug that can't delete temp file on desktop,it's harmful to debug program.

Last edited:

lqg2118

Licensed User
Longtime User
but on device you could delete the temp file without any change.

well,but i'm not glad to always link my phone debuging program...