B4J Question Many Firebase alternative - whitch one to use ?

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Supabase
Nhost
PocketBase
Back4App

When I discovered PocketBase, other Firebase alternatives popped up
All very interesting, some open source
Has anyone managed to interface one of these systems to keep the data of a B4J application and has managed to exploit one of the main functionality, that of the notifications that are sent from the db server to the clients?

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've had my eye on Supabase for over a year now. I've even started to write a Supabase B4X library, but so far I haven't had the time to work on it. But with such a library you could not only quickly write an app together with B4X, you even have a scalable backend where you don't need your own server.

It doesn't answer your question, but I wanted to finally address it.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Pocketbase is free but it is JAVASCRIPT.

All others are not free.

I dont see any benefit in not using firebase (firebase Notifications are FREE).

No one is free
"..I dont see any benefit.." ok, you dont see, but the benefit is evident, you can have 'in house' the system

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1668683547799.png

well checking prices... I think getting 50 BG (bulgarian girl) for a year is a good price... sorry to my friends in Bulgaria... :)

This was for a fun.... capture is true... if someone think that this is a bad joke - i can delete it.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think getting 50 BG (bulgarian girl) for a year is a good price...
It is 50GB probably. But even that it results in 180$/Year. It´s not cheap for me.

A VPS with 200GB Space cost me around $10/Month but i have FULL Control, can run B4J and B4J-Apps on it too.
Edit: i´m talking about a Windows VPS...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
It is 50GB probably. But even that it results in 180$/Year. It´s not cheap for me.

A VPS with 200GB Space cost me around $10/Month but i have FULL Control, can run B4J and B4J-Apps on it too.
Edit: i´m talking about a Windows VPS...

Very interesting
Then you can work from everywhere?
But is really like a pc with 200 Gbyte, via Anydesk or TeamViewer?
Can you tell us the name of vendor?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Then you can work from everywhere?
Yes. I just need a PC or Laptop and Internet.
I do connect through RDC

I could use Anydesc or Teamviewer too sure.
But i find RDC suiteable enough for me. And that´s a technique i get included for free with the VPS in comparition to Teamviewer or Anydesc.

But is really like a pc with 200 Gbyte, via Anydesk or TeamViewer?

Yes

explorer_O5nDaAHMCo.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Very interesting information for me
But if you need to use an http seerver, or mqtt, or any other 'server' program, on Windows on vps system, there is a way to 'enter/call' from external?
Other question, can you use system like B4A that need a lan communication with B4A-bridge?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But if you need to use an http seerver, or mqtt, or any other 'server' program, on Windows on vps system
Yes. You can install a Webserver, ftp, a mqtt-broker, Database, create your own serverapps using B4J. Run jRDC on it....

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's nice price (extremely nice)... but i would prefer Debian 11... ofcourse much more difficult, but better security (if you know what to do), but yes, difficult to setup openjdk, b4j server, mqtt... need to read a lot...

@DonManfred strato.de has DDOS protection or any other technique for bruteforce hacking protection or for ex. any Arbor firewall ?
has any bandwidth limit or fair use policy... ?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And can you use system like B4A that need a lan communication with B4A-bridge?
i don´t know. You can install B4A for sure. How you can connect to B4ABridge i don´t know.

I do all B4A-Coding on My PC and the Device(s) are connected by USB,

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Yes. I just need a PC or Laptop and Internet.
I do connect through RDC

I could use Anydesc or Teamviewer too sure.
But i find RDC suiteable enough for me. And that´s a technique i get included for free with the VPS in comparition to Teamviewer or Anydesc.

I am seeing the economic offers Strato
The vps with Linux operating system (4 cpu, 8 Gb, 300 Gb ssd) costs 5 euros / month, the exact same version with Windows costs 15 euros / month
Do you think it is not preferable to use the first version and install Windows on it?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you think it is not preferable to use the first version and install Windows on it?
If you rent a Linux VPS you GET a Linux VPS. You can not install another Platform on it. Strato installs the Platform on the VPS and you get administrator account to this machine.

In Case of Windows you get an VPS on an Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Dataserver. Windows and licenses are already applied.

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am seeing the economic offers Strato
The vps with Linux operating system (4 cpu, 8 Gb, 300 Gb ssd) costs 5 euros / month, the exact same version with Windows costs 15 euros / month
Linux that offers runs at virtuozzo if u check specs...
touchmaster_20221119-17353.jpeg

With some tricks you can run Windows on it... but not with security you probably want...

KVM that run Windows is almost real hardware... so it is much better and faster..

Upvote 0