B4J Question Many Firebase alternative - whitch one to use ?

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Supabase
Nhost
PocketBase
Back4App

When I discovered PocketBase, other Firebase alternatives popped up
All very interesting, some open source
Has anyone managed to interface one of these systems to keep the data of a B4J application and has managed to exploit one of the main functionality, that of the notifications that are sent from the db server to the clients?

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Linux that offers runs at virtuozzo if u check specs...
With some tricks you can run Windows on it... but not with security you probably want...
KVM that run Windows is almost real hardware... so it is much better and faster..

"..With some tricks.." ???

Upvote 0

DawningTruth

Licensed User
View attachment 136093

well checking prices... I think getting 50 BG (bulgarian girl) for a year is a good price... sorry to my friends in Bulgaria... :)

This was for a fun.... capture is true... if someone think that this is a bad joke - i can delete it.
Looks like an interesting option. I see it has notifications. But does not have Crashlytics. Are there any Firebase alternatives that have something like Crashlytics and notifications?

Upvote 0

DawningTruth

Licensed User
Please note with backend servers you may need to write an actual backend and set it up. That is the path we have chosen, using C# and .Net. Depending on complexity, B4J might be able to handle backend functions, which avoids the need to have two programming languages.

But be warned the setup is not trivial, you need load balancers, DDOS protection, an edge connection, security for https connections and the ability to scale using something like Kubernetes or equivalent. It can get really hairy really fast. That is the trouble platforms like Firebase save you.

Upvote 0

Beugelaar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Supabase
Nhost
PocketBase
Back4App

When I discovered PocketBase, other Firebase alternatives popped up
All very interesting, some open source
Has anyone managed to interface one of these systems to keep the data of a B4J application and has managed to exploit one of the main functionality, that of the notifications that are sent from the db server to the clients?

Take a look at Appwrite.
Link: https://appwrite.io/

Upvote 0

elitse

I've had my eye on Supabase for over a year now. I've even started to write a Supabase B4X library, but so far I haven't had the time to work on it. But with such a library you could not only quickly write an app together with B4X, you even have a scalable backend where you don't need your own server.

It doesn't answer your question, but I wanted to finally address it.
Any chance you completed this lib?

Upvote 0