Android Question Marshmallow downgrade

yiankos1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello my friends,
In my app i used android:targetSdkVersion="23" and i uploaded at Google Play. A user with Marshmallow reported me that saving at ExternalStorage did not work properly and throws exception like here. Erel said that changing android:targetSdkVersion to "22" would fix that problem. Indeed this solution fixed my problem and my app working like a charm. When i try to upload my fixed .apk at market, throws an error about downgrading my app and does not let me update it. As i read here, Google Play does not allow to downgrade, so what do you suggest?
Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:

yiankos1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Marshmallow is alive. Many devices running this firmware.
Is it normal b4a, a professional suite, waiting a user make a class? It would be useful if these updates were developed by you. Creator of this class made a quite good job, but does not support the most important method "onRequestPermissionsResult()". That's why Erel you should do these moves by you.
I am little bit disappointed with whole b4a situation, cause things out there running really fast and we are always 5 steps behind other developers.

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Agree, but to be honest - I don't understand it right now. Perhaps someone can explain it (as a sticky thread) what this is all about.

Downgrading: Ok, it's up to Google...

Permissions: Yep, this is critical if it relies on someones good will to create a class, lib or whatever.

Upvote 0

yiankos1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Agree, but to be honest - I don't understand it right now. Perhaps someone can explain it (as a sticky thread) what this is all about.

Downgrading: Ok, it's up to Google...

Permissions: Yep, this is critical if it relies on someones good will to create a class, lib or whatever.

Lets forget about Google Downgrading, it was a causation to express my overall beliefs about b4a after 3.5 years developing with it. As you said, most of b4a RELIES on someones good will.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
As you said, most of b4a RELIES on someones good will.
This is not true. The official libraries support 90%+ of Android features.

Marshmallow permissions will be added. Probably in the next version of B4A. There is no real hurry to add this feature as it is not required for now. Just set the targetSdkVersion to 22 instead of 23 and it will work properly on all devices (including Android 6 devices). The IDE will even warn if you set it to 23.

BTW, Android is not moving so fast. Android 6 is currently installed on %2.3 of the devices: http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
A bit less than Android 2.3.

Your case is special as you submitted an app with targetSdkVersion set to 23.

Upvote 0