Microsoft Dynamics CRM REST APIs help/information needed

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello all, long time no interact,
I was wondering if there are any B4X developers what work with or have worked with MS Dynamics APIs (MSD CRM)?

I've had a meeting with a company this morning that have been using MSD CRM about for 18 month now, but they are looking for a developer to create a barcode an stock control system that will link to their MSD CRM. I can obviously create the Android and desktop solution using B4A and B4J (for their Windows and MacOS laptops), but as they want those apps to also update their MSD CRM information, I would need to learn more about how MSD CRM works and how to request/update the information held within it.

So I was wondering if there are any B4X developers that knows anything about MSD CRM and using it's REST APIs, especially anything regarding requesting/updating the stored data, what needs to be done. This afternoon I've been reading Google search results and all I can say is wow, it's basically never ending and a bit overwhelming.

Thanks in advance...

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What is MSD CRM?

Using a google search i only find entries for "Dynamics 365". Is it this what you are searching?

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hiya @DonManfred (The Don, not the Donald ;))

Microsoft Dynamics CRM is now known as Microsoft Dynamics 365, I keep saying CRM and not 365, sorry.

The company I saw today is looking for a 3rd party developer to create a stock control solution that interacts with their CRM, this can be accomplished by using REST APIs, but how I really have no idea about the 365 control panel etc.

What is CRM?| Microsoft Dynamics 365

I turned down a project like this 2 years ago as I know absolutely nothing about it, I don't really want to turn this one down not unless I really have to.

I did find this earlier though, I have to look more into connect apps.

Connect Apps - Business Central

Also this.

Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement REST APIs - Dynamics 365 REST API

And this.

Authenticate to Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement with the Web API (Developer Guide for Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement)

And finally this

Developer tools (Developer Guide for Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement (on-premises))

There's a lot to read, I'm hoping that another B4X developer has some sort of experience using MSD CRM. I basically need to retrieve and update the CRM information in MSD.

Thank you...

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know about the new versions but a while ago (~2010) it was ASP based and with some ASP knowledge easy to modify or extend.
I think it was still called Navision back then.

These days it's probably all ASP.NET based for front-end and REST as you mentioned to pull out/update data.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know about the new versions but a while ago (~2010) it was ASP based and with some ASP knowledge easy to modify or extend.
I think it was still called Navision back then.

These days it's probably all ASP.NET based for front-end and REST as you mentioned to pull out/update data.

Yes it's 100% REST. I'm still looking into it all. I believe that I've figured out the basics, but I could really do with somebody who works with MS CRM (Dynamics 365) on a regular basis, thus could point me in the correct direction.

YouTube videos and Google/Bing search results are bringing up things that I already know, but I need to know what needs to be done in MSD 365 to set up allowing REST requests. All I keep finding is how to request with REST which I can already find on this forum.

This is a complete and utter nightmare :confused: