Android Question My app main screen appears as a small square on a tablet ?

MitchBu

Licensed User
Longtime User
small.jpg

Any suggestion ?

TIA

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you use anchors for your main panel?

Upvote 0

MitchBu

Licensed User
Longtime User
No. How should we help if you hide all relevant infos?

Post a small project which shows the issue is the best. So we could look at the code, the Design.
But without all this info i (at least) am unable to help.

Sorry. I cannot post my entire app. It is far too complex.

I will try to create a smaller project that exhibits the same issue.

Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
@MitchBu

Hi Mitch,
DonManfred is right - it is difficult to assess with little information and I know that apps can become "trade" secrets and complex and large. But that said and left there, may I ask some questions ?

1. You say that it works well on the phone but not on the tablet ? (1st Clue)
2. Do you use designer to design your screens with Anchors or not ?
3. How many derivatives do you have in your designer ? (1 for your phone and 1 for your tablet maybe ?)
4. Have you opened the "tablet" derivative to check your design ?

You see, with what I have to go on, and from my past experience, In designer, when you create a screen (the phone screen for example) and use your anchors correctly and then decided to create a new derivative to work on a tablet, then the copy is almost always perfect to the new derivative. However, when you return to your 1st screen (the phone screen) and now add a new item or change any element, THIS DOES NOT REFLECT on the second screen (tablet screen) and you need to place and re-align the element there correctly again.

My guess this is what has happened to you, but then again I could be a dog and I could be barking at a pseudo cat in the wrong tree !!

Good Luck !!

Upvote 0

MitchBu

Licensed User
Longtime User
@MitchBu

Hi Mitch,
DonManfred is right - it is difficult to assess with little information and I know that apps can become "trade" secrets and complex and large. But that said and left there, may I ask some questions ?

1. You say that it works well on the phone but not on the tablet ? (1st Clue)
2. Do you use designer to design your screens with Anchors or not ?
3. How many derivatives do you have in your designer ? (1 for your phone and 1 for your tablet maybe ?)
4. Have you opened the "tablet" derivative to check your design ?

You see, with what I have to go on, and from my past experience, In designer, when you create a screen (the phone screen for example) and use your anchors correctly and then decided to create a new derivative to work on a tablet, then the copy is almost always perfect to the new derivative. However, when you return to your 1st screen (the phone screen) and now add a new item or change any element, THIS DOES NOT REFLECT on the second screen (tablet screen) and you need to place and re-align the element there correctly again.

My guess this is what has happened to you, but then again I could be a dog and I could be barking at a pseudo cat in the wrong tree !!

Good Luck !!

Hi Bill,

I am going to work on that today, and intend to get to the bottom of it.

All the layouts behave as expected, except the most critical, the main screen.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Upvote 0

MitchBu

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK. I am in the process of alleviating the issue.

I rest all my views on a panel so I can play on visible/invisible to change instantly between layouts. For some reason, that panel did not apply the anchors. I have set anchors across width and height, but yet, it was doing that strange small square.

Using the layout script, I was able to take care of that. Then several views needed to be moved.

Little by little, I am going where I need to be.

Sorry for not providing more details. I was a bit frantic when I saw an app I thought to be well on it's way to the play store become unusable on a tablet.

Thank you all for your insight.

Upvote 0