Niche apps - what is the best monetization strategy?

Best Niche Monetizing Strategy

• AdNetwork only

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • DonationWare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell fixed price

• Mix

• Total voters

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys

I'm looking for your insight in this matter.

Consider a niche app, meaning an average of 1000 to 1500 users/downloads and about 2000 at best.

What is the best monetizing strategy?

- Base it in AdNnetworks, which I personally use but find it annoying as user, thus I don't throw tons of ads to my users.
- Make it DonationWare, with a few extras for donators.
- Sell the app, thus making the target user even more narrow

Last, but not least...
- Use a mix of the above, having a free limited version based in AdNetwork and a paid/donation full spec version.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Be aware that 'donations' dont adhere to google policy.
For such a low download count Ads are useless.
I would say in-app purchase. If there are more unlockables leave some stuff unlocked for people to try.
If its niche and people need it they would buy it.

EDIT: The stance of google to donations is ambiguous. Apps have been pulled for adding donation links. but many arent. Also, these donations are subject to tax + google fees unless you have some tax exempt certificate.

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In-app billing puzzles me... Not exactly sure how that works nor how to implement it.

On the extras side, yeah, I have one or two in mind... But will they justify buying my app!? I just don't know.
They another problem arises... How do you establish a value to your app?

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sadly the value of apps is very low these days. I guess you ask yourself some questions like, does it add value to your life? does it save you time? how many times do you use it a day? does it save you time/effort/money? does it entertain you?
Some people will evaluate it according to the dev time/cost vs the size of the market.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
EDIT: The stance of google to donations is ambiguous. Apps have been pulled for adding donation links. but many arent. Also, these donations are subject to tax + google fees unless you have some tax exempt certificate.

Donation wise I was thinking about an external mechanism, away from Google. Something like donating through PayPal, after which the user would receive a personalized apk.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sadly the value of apps is very low these days. I guess you ask yourself some questions like, does it add value to your life? does it save you time? how many times do you use it a day? does it save you time/effort/money? does it entertain you?
Some people will evaluate it according to the dev time/cost vs the size of the market.
Well, its meant to be an IOIO tool, thus very low utilisation freq./user... But, as every target specific tool, its mean to help/save time to the user And so it may be worth the cost.

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know if this is even possible so hopefully someone else will chime in that has more experience than me, but what about a time limited version? The thought being that you can maximise on the number of uses willing to test your app as they get the full app for the period of a month (just long enough for them to familiarise themselves with all of its features and for it to become a valuable tool). Then after the trial period they are forced to pay for the app or it stops working. For such a niche product I think that this might work quite well, but I don't know if the mechanism exists within the Google Play Store to do such a thing?

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would say in-app purchase. If there are more unlockables leave some stuff unlocked for people to try.
If its niche and people need it they would buy it.

I believe it depends on the app. Here are some examples I thought of:

Professional Tools / Niche Market App / Utilities / Single Player Game:
Sell it at a high-price

Social / News / Stock Market / Fitness / Mini-Game:
Ad networks

Multiplayer Games / RPG / Fantasy / Social / Collectible Card:
In-app purchases

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
as wonder allready mentioned it depends on the app

* if the app is an app that is in daily use then u can put some ads in it

* if its a game my opinion is to give it for free without any ads so if people like it they will keep it in their phones and u can make some money with InApp purchases

* if its a tool put a limited free version (without ads) and a full version for sale >=1.99$...

Good Luck! :)