Nintendo's dominance

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Instead of showing some respect Nintendo decides to attempt removal of the c64 port of Super Mario Bros.

As if there is much money to lose there :)

I wonder if there even can be talked about copyright infrigment as their own rom is not even been copied here since it's a re-creation.

Intellectual property might be an issue but it's a platformer like there are hundreds.
Maybe they have regged their main sprite like with the pacman case between Namco & Magnavox's K.C. Munchkin but is it still valid after 34 years?

https://torrentfreak.com/nintendo-t...-mario-bros-after-7-years-development-190423/

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As if there is much money to lose there :)

because of the c64mini there is a lot to loose. and even without the c64 they need to complain about copyrights since super mario is even today very popular in many game consoles. and it doesnot matter if my brand is sold in a very big shop in the center of the city or in a small shop somewhere in a side street of the the town if i will not complain it means i eccept and allow it.

I wonder if there even can be talked about copyright infrigment as their own rom is not even been copied here since it's a re-creation.

yes there is no doubt on it. you can not use sprites or sound from a game that has copyright even if you redesign them and here they used them as they are. for example flappy bird. there are rumers that nintendo complained about their pipes that are used in that game.

Intellectual property might be an issue but it's a platformer like there are hundreds.

its THE PLATFORMER! super mario is the best Platformer in my opinion that was ever build. even today :)

EDIT: btw the c64 Super Mario copy is amazing.

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
... if i will not complain it means i eccept and allow it.

This cuts to the heart of it. With patents, you must aggressively and continuously defend it otherwise risk losing it. If someone can show that a patent holder didn't do that, then they can file that the patent has been abandoned. That's why, if you're thinking of patenting something (at least here in the USA), you have to consider whether you have the means (time, money, patience) to protect that patent. This is not related to copywrite which is something different.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
its THE PLATFORMER!

Pac-Land ruled too and it's even older than Super Mario Bros. And it's technically more difficult too since it has 2 way scrolling (parallax scrolling).
especially the joystick routines are interesting in that one. It took a while before I figured out how to jump over that pond :)

I was a Wonder Boy addict but that came out after Pac-Land and SMB.

A.: right, lawyers are happy that those exists so they keep an eye on it and warn the owners if they bump onto an issue.