Beta No Bookmarks V 5.0 Beta #2 ?

fixit30

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel has already said in his Beta announcement post

The following features are currently not implemented (they might be added in the future):
- Printing
- B4A-Bridge over Bluetooth.
- Bookmarks (not to confuse with breakpoints).

Upvote 0

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
The acronym I always use to find sections of code that need finishing is WTD 'Work To Do' :D

Upvote 0

Gary Milne

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just adding my voice to the discussion. I also find the loss of bookmarks quite detrimental to my efficiency. I found bookmarks to be extremely useful when debugging an issue that was spread through multiple modules. Otherwise I'm writing down line numbers and scrolling all the time.

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
The bookmarks are very useful and necessary. When you have many lines...

muchaslineas.png

Upvote 0

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
I used bookmarks a lot. Just general looking around then returning to the line you`re working on is something that's not so easy without a quick Ctrl-M.

Please could you add bookmarks to the new IDE, Erel?

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

I just got back to doing some Android work and was shocked to see there is no "bookmark" feature.

You did such a great job adding this new IDE in v5, but how was this feature overlooked?

It concerns me that you are using the word "might" [be implemented in the future]. Why would you not implement it?

It is killing my productivity not having this feature.

I appreciate the "recent locations" feature, but it is not a workable substitution for a real bookmark feature that will preserve the bookmark locations between IDE sessions like v4 did.

Please implement bookmarks ASAP - most every other IDE I use supports bookmarks (visual studio 20xx, VB6).

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm back to doing more development with B4A, and am getting VERY frustrated with the lack of bookmarks. My current project is a combo server/client, and when I'm working in Visual Studio (server), I can enjoy bookmarks, but when I switch to my B4A app, I want to pull my hair out because there is no consistency to do the same thing (make and jump to bookmarks).

From what I remember, you are using a third party for the new IDE. Well, the IDE does support breakpoints, so why can't it also support bookmarks? Please tell the IDE vendor that you need them to add the Bookmark feature so their IDE will work like the other dozens of modern IDE editors.

Upvote 0

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm back to doing more development with B4A, and am getting VERY frustrated with the lack of bookmarks. My current project is a combo server/client, and when I'm working in Visual Studio (server), I can enjoy bookmarks, but when I switch to my B4A app, I want to pull my hair out because there is no consistency to do the same thing (make and jump to bookmarks).

Don't you think that adding a text marker (I use WIP) and then doing a Quick Search is almost as good, and has the benefit of searching in all modules, which bookmarks never achieved?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This thread is an old thread.
You better create a thread in the wishlist forum instead of pulling out such old threads.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In my opinion, it really isn't because the suggested work-around:

1) takes multiple the steps to just "mark" a line, then even more steps to jump to the line, whereas the normal book mark feature is one click to mark it and then one click to navigate to each marked line

2) and any deviation from simply click a standard bookmark icon to mark, and clicking the back or next bookmark icons to navigate means that when I switch IDE's, I have to mentally switch back and forth of how I need to do this very basic feature differently in each IDE.

The new IDE editor of B4A might have some nice tricks, but not having a standard bookmark feature or not being able to do a simple global find/replace is taking me back two steps in productivity.

Upvote 0