NO LIBS Game developing...

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi guys,

wanted to share with you something

because we dont have any game engine for ios i try to make games that doesnot use any libs.
it is not easy to make a game without libgdx or any other libs (only CORE) and keep good performance.

you need for that to be very creative with your code!

i tried to make a clone of BOUNCE to see how it will run on my phone (galaxy s5) and i am very suprised.
runs very smooth. it took me a while to find the right technic but i am happy with the result.

the game choose randomly a level, every level is a different layout that was made in the designer
i made also a level creator in VB that will scale the level to any screensize.

now i can just take the code and reskin it with different images and publish on google play and appstore

judge yourself...

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It looks really addictive!! This kind of game does really well in the store, so fingers crossed! :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice work @ilan, how about a quick example of your level creator? :)

Thanx, i am planing to make a tutorial that explain the technic but first i want to finish the reskinig and publish my idea of that game.

Will be a big crazy surprise ;)

Last edited:

Jaames

Licensed User
Longtime User
Excellent. The game looks great, it could hit a winner :) .
You should try it on low-end devices, to make sure it run smoothly.
Congr. and good luck!

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm also a fan of doing only core lib games, even my low end phone can do things smooth enough even without using fancy openGL/accellerated stuff.

ofcourse, if you want to do a streetfighter clone with 100 sprites at once like @wonder did you'll have a problem compared to the GPU ones.

but for these simple single click games it should be fast enough especially on IOS which seems to be faster and more smooth since they are always more high end phones.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm also a fan of doing only core lib games, even my low end phone can do things smooth enough even without using fancy openGL/accellerated stuff.

ofcourse, if you want to do a streetfighter clone with 100 sprites at once like @wonder did you'll have a problem compared to the GPU ones.

but for these simple single click games it should be fast enough especially on IOS which seems to be faster and more smooth since they are always more high end phones.

exactly, I think because of today smartphones (quadcore, 2gbram) we don't really need every simple game libgdx.
don't understand me wrong, libgdx is very powerful, If I would make this game only for android I probably would choose libgdx for it.

but its good to know that even the old good timer can do it (if you do it right)

especially on IOS

yes you are right sorex, it seems to me that even that the iPhone only has dual core it runs faster then android phones.
and you can do great stuff on it, I have not test this game on my iPhone but I believe I will get good result.
it will be almost COPY/PAST work and the Bal2Bil will save me lot of time (thanx erel)

if you want to do a streetfighter clone with 100 sprites at once like
(100 guys fight each other) really crazy, I believe it will be a great game and the bulldozer engine too... it could be a game for xbox too.. :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Excellent. The game looks great, it could hit a winner :) .
You should try it on low-end devices, to make sure it run smoothly.
Congr. and good luck!

thanx james, the original Bounce game is a big hit, I will change images and put a new concept to this game and I hope people will like it..

I have a really great idea for this game... should be finished in 1-2 weeks... :)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you so much!! I will be learning how to use NDK in the next few weeks in order to write some of the routines in C++. :)
I want it to handle 256 guys on screen! ;)

About your game, did you write the physics yourself? It looks so smooth! Congratulations! :D

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
actually the physics are wrong :)

the drop gravity doesn't look natural but that's a minor issue.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you so much!! I will be learning how to use NDK in the next few weeks in order to write some of the routines in C++. :)
I want it to handle 256 guys on screen! ;)

About your game, did you write the physics yourself? It looks so smooth! Congratulations! :D

thanx wonder, yes everything I wrote by myself, if you see very sharp on the bouncing ball you will notice that the ball slow down when he reach the max jump height...

no engine used...all collisions are also only simple codes..

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
actually the physics are wrong :)

the drop gravity doesn't look natural but that's a minor issue.

I think it does look natural, when the ball jump up he start slow down a little and when I he fall he accelerate with no limit..
should It be different??

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it seems to drop slower than it jumped or something.

when the ball jump let say speed is 1%y then if he jump without hitting any block he jump maximum 30 frames
so after 10 frames he start slow down 0.9%y,0.8%y,... this gives you the gravity effect
then he start fall, he start near to last value and until he hit a block again he accelerate with no limit

I think it should be like this, maybe its not clear on the video but on my phone I have a nice smooth filling of the bounce

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
actually your jump/drop is just math, you don't need to wait 10 frames to start your drop effect.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
bounce starts with a certain velocity that gets decreased on every frame. you start with a negative value and end positive during the fall.

no need for frame checking, the simple math should solve it all for you.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't have any recording possibility so that I can compare it with yours.